Bisley hunters and blued Bisleys

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros,
and New Vaqueros.
dct454

Bisley hunters and blued Bisleys

Post by dct454 »

O M Crazy
I don't think Ruger made the hunter models in blued, only stainless. Someone on here may know. The blued bisleys I have are standard models. I think I have all the calibers with the roll marked cylinders. It is my understanding that early in production Ruger produced fluted cylinders first then went to the roll marked cylinder thereafter. I don't know if this is the case with all the calibers or not. Hopefully someone on here can enlighten me.
I am looking forward to learning from the people on here.
Dave
O M CRAZY

Re: Bisley hunters and blued Bisleys

Post by O M CRAZY »

dct454

I can only speak for the 41mag. I know that Ruger produced a blued .41 Bisley with a fluted cylinder, I have one. These were the first.

I have not seen any Blued Hunters, but I collect only "Old Model" Rugers with the exception of the 41mag. I am trying to collect any and all 41mag. that Ruger produced. So far I have found them in the Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk, Redhawk, and Super Redakwk. The Hunters that I have come a crossed have all been in stainless steel.

I am not up to date on what would be available in other calibers.

Good hunting, that's the best part of collecting, the hunt.

O M CRAZY/ Vince
dct454

Post by dct454 »

O M CRAZY
Sent you a PM I think.
dct454
Dave
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Dave,
Received your PM and replied.
Vince
dct454

Post by dct454 »

Does anyone know or know where I can find out if the blued Bisley's were all first produced with fluted cylinders or just some calibers.
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Interesting topic. I believe that they made Bisleys in all its calibers with a fluted cylinder - .22, .32, .357, .41, .44 and .45. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. I happen to have a "U" marked Bisley Hunter in 44 Mag. Its the only "Used" Hunter that has been reported to the RENE.
Bill
chet15

Post by chet15 »

When the Bisley was first announced and displayed at Ruger's NRA and SHOT displays, they had rollmarked cylinders. The first literature also showed the guns as having rollmarked cylinders. When the first guns came out however, all had fluted cylinders because Ruger was having a tough time with the rollmarking dies. We'd heard that they scrapped the idea of the rollmarked cylinder so instead began offering everything with a fluted cylinder. The public went into an uproar!! So Ruger eventually figured out their rollmarking problems and began shipping with rollmarked cylinders.
Chet15
dct454

Post by dct454 »

Thanks for the insight gentleman.
I will continue my hunt for the blued fluted cylinder Bisleys.
Dave