Chief AJ collectable 10/22's and items.

All Memorabilia
Ken1187

Re: Chief AJ collectable 10/22's and items.

Post by Ken1187 »

So I should maybe Clarify so that there isn't any confusion to what I stated in my previous post. I said the my late grandfather Knew the Chief. This was through Gun Shows that my Grandfather attended. He always said that the Chief recognized him and had something new for him. He considered the Chief to be his friend and assumed the Chief felt the same. That being said I'm sure the Chief has many many friends in this same sort of context.

We are Canadian and as far as I am aware my Grandpa (Harold) and dad attended the Michigan and Ohio gun shows in the 80's and 90's. They were also member's of the Ohio Gun Collector's Association during this time and attended their shows. I am not 100% certain on this but I believe this is where they usually acquired most of their guns that currently resides in dads collection. At least the Ruger's anyways. I have yet to find another Canadian with any type of Real Chief AJ Memorabilia other than my uncles who have 2 of the 4 sets of USMC marine core 10/22's. #'s 45,46,47,48 I believe. #45 and #46 were the number's my Grandfather and dad collected. I now own the #45 as I inherited all grandpa's guns.

Dad say's that the White Buffalo that I posted earlier was given to Grandpa from the Chief in '95. He purchased His "Red Dog" at the same time which became his favorite shooter. Maybe someone here could confirm if the Chief would have done such a gesture for a collector of his firearms.?

Even though I grew up with these guns and finding out as much as I could about them, There is still so much to learn. I never get tired of looking at a Ruger 10/22. There my favorite Gun of all time!!

If there is anyone out there who could confirm any information or who would be willing to PM me to help provide me with any information about Chief AJ Guns I would much appreciate it. I love the Knowledge and the Stories.

Here's a couple of pics on how we have our Ruger's displayed along with the Chief's guns.

Ken
Last edited by Ken1187 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Wow, very nice collection. Sure hope to see more of your collection at the Ohio show. Someoone with more 10/22's than I have, a man with good taste !
Charlie1022
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

WOW, that is a great collection and love the display layout!! We sure hope that you can bring some of them down and display with us at the ROCS Display show with the OGCA in July 2021. We have a great time there and would like to have you join us.
Bilol
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Ken, that's a wonderful display of some fine 10/22s, a fellow member here "Rugerologist" who you'll see posting in this thread has written a wonderful book "The Exploits of Chief AJ" which is a must for anyone interested in Chief AJ.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Ken,
Agree with Bennet,
Chucks book is a must, as is The Ruger 10/22 by Wm. E. Workman, he has some pages about some of what you have.
In fact the White Buffalo with the red eyes is mentioned in Chuck's book.
I see a POW WOW and an Indian Scout in the pics along with the Marine Corp guns you mentioned.
All neat stuff. Have any of his world record guns?
I LOVE me some 10-22's!!!!
Just don't let Trudy the commie know you have them :twisted: :shock: 8-)

Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Ken 1187 That is a beautiful collection indeed. Thank you so much for showing us. You are in the right place for anything Ruger. 2020 has been pretty much a lost year to get together with these great people and I am hoping 2021 will be better. We all would love to see some of your beautiful pieces at a future event.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Ken1187

Post by Ken1187 »

Thanks for the great responses everyone!!

We have a signed copy of the book. I never actually read the book until last week. That's what actually prompted my questions on the White Buffalo. Is that really our gun in the book chuck? Grampa has been gone for some time now and I never asked the "right" personal questions back then... Too busy hunting "Wild Game" at the local watering holes I guess.

Now that my kids are getting older it has been easier finding time to now pay serious attention to the little details and know specifics about every Gun. My what a Challenge!!! I love it!!

I started a year and a half ago cataloging dads collection and getting it on computer instead of his 50 year old stacks of paper scribbles he had/ Still has!!. LOL. I spent a whole Spring on his Savage Model 99's. I bought a book " A collectors Guide to the Savage Model 99" . A great read that expanded my knowledge of the infamous model 99. I am forever learning about his Marlins which was my Grandfather Harold's true passion. He has acquired every caliber made from all Models 1888 to 1897 along with the ammo.

So now I am working on the Ruger's. RB-BBZNFPRQ? What? LOL... I could use some help here!!! Would anyone be able to help me? The
"Wall" is overwhelming... I am reading the book "The Ruger 10/22" By William E. Workman. Again Great read. It clearly helps with the Catalog Codes, However the print is in black and white and some of the laminated Model Variations are hard to decipher. I will get it though.

I am happy to have found such a great forum that has true non bull crap facts. I read other forums and guys express their 0.5 cent opinions and compare the Chief's guns to the New Volquartsen guns and are just ripping on him!! To much in Price, doesn't shoot as nice, he was a self promoting Con-man.... la,da,da,da!!! If That's the case I guess my family has sucker written all over their foreheads. And the Chief knew it!!! Or maybe we were smart enough to purchase these riffles.. How many did he make? What's the increase in value to them now? how many made it's way into Canada?

Now I personally have never met the Chief and I would think any person is entitled to their own opinions! But, To actually "Rip" up someone that you don't know on these forums is Crap!! They can stick with Volquartsen!!
How can a man set world records and not promote himself? Good on him!!! Personally, I would give my left Arm to own More!! To each of their own!!!

We do not shoot our Chief Riffles. To us they are priceless, they are all unfired once the Chief stamps "Hey diddle diddle right through the middle" except for the "Red Dog".
We do not have a world record gun.
we do have the 2 engraved Lost Valley Lake commemorative 10/22's # 45 and #46, and the chief's fine tuned 10/22 that I believe he came out with in '87.?

I would Be interested in any Chief Gun that comes up for sale!!! I am also seriously interested in a Kittery Trading post 10/22 as dad has been searching for a long time. I would love to Surprise him with it. Best present ever!!

I will continue to post and keep up with discussions as my knowledge expands and hopefully get to know everyone here while doing so...
Ken1187 is now landed. Ruger is in my blood! If I had my way I would have a Son named Ruger, But I obviously lost that one!!

Thanks to everyone again,

Ken
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Ken,I have a nice collection of 10/22's and have displayed around the country. Let me know if I can answer questions on 10/22's. I always enjoy talking Ruger. Chief AJ has been a friend since 1988 and has stayed at my home twice over the years. I have several of his guns. I have a couple other rare laminated 10/22's that are extras if you need something to fill in but it looks like your family has done great on keeping up!
Charlie1022
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Ken,
As new collector I also was "So now I am working on the Ruger's. RB-BBZNFPRQ? What? LOL... I could use some help here!!! Would anyone be able to help me? "

The RENE has helped me the most. If not a subscriber, I would recommend it!!
Chet15 here on the forum is the author. Well worth the price for the info on Ruger models.
Have fun.
Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Ken1187

Post by Ken1187 »

Thanks Everyone for the Help.

How does one subscribe to the RENE? I cannot find how to subscribe on the internet.

I messaged Chet15 but had no response.. Must be too busy to deal with my request. Lol... Probably just another guy bothering him... Hopefully not though..

again thanks for the Great response.

Ken1187