Ruger Automobile Flyer

Anything Ruger related.
67stingray

Ruger Automobile Flyer

Post by 67stingray »

A topic we don't talk about too much here is W.B.R.'s cars, I recently picked up this 1970 Automobile flyer and Shareholders Report. What I found interesting is they came with an envelope addressed to "William B. Ruger Jr., RUGER CARS".
Bennett
Attachments
Ruger 1970 Auto Flyer.jpg
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
d findley

Re: Ruger Automobile Flyer

Post by d findley »

John D. may want to chime in, but I believe Bill, Jr. was in charge of that operation.
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

Very nice & in excellent condition to boot.
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Hadn't seen the WBR, Jr. envelope before. Nice snag!
Many of those info kits on the car also came with a nice yellow folder that held everything, including Ruger reprints of Ruger Tourer magazine articles and press kit photos.
The really rare piece would be an original order form.
Chet15
johncdougan

Post by johncdougan »

Hello guys,

I have always been fascinated by the Ruger cars and have gathered up a few paper items. My best item is the press kit mentioned by Chad. I don't know how to post pictures here, so I will e-mail a photo to Donnie and he can post it. Included in the kit was a catalogue, order form, magazine reprints and renderings of optional body styles.

This was Billy Jr's project. While at the factory one time I looked at 8X10 photos taken when he had the car on tour in England and Europe (at car shows). Some photos were of him and several good looking babes posing around it on the streets of London.

I was told that one reason the project got suspended was the return on investment per square feet of manufacturing space was much less than if the floorspace was being used to make guns. Of course there were a lot of government regulations that made a car like these nearly impractical to build and market and be profitable.

After Mr. Ruger passed away, Billy Jr. bought both cars from the Ruger estate and kept them in his collection. After he died one of the cars sold at auction a couple years ago and is now in a private collection, I don't know what became of the other one.

John
d findley

Post by d findley »

John just sent these pics to go with his post:
Attachments
36.jpg
35.jpg
33.jpg
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

Great info ! I was not aware that Bill Jr directed the Tourer's direction for the company.
Thanks for sharing the provenance.
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Heard another reason for dropping the Ruger Tourer... with all the government regulations coming around at the time with smog control etc., and crash testing... WBR (or WBR, Jr.) were told they needed to put at least one of the cars through the crash test criteria. The boys would have none of it, so the project was dropped.
I think D.F. also has a Ruger Tourer press kit in a gray (hand typed?) folder that predates the yellow kits.
There are really quite a lot of different items that were put in those kits, some kits have this or that and other kits are found with different items.
Chet15
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

John and Donnie, Thank you very much for sharing these items of Ruger Car literature. Like most of us long time collectors, these cars were just pictures and I had little knowledge about them. I did not even know that 2 were built! Great press kit John, I enjoy seeing such evidence about the cars. Lee E
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Now some of you know what to try to buy if you hit the Mega Lottery! The amount of Ruger information out there and the great people that share it are mind boggling. Thanks for showing us and making this the best Ruger group in the world!!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...