Ruger Pump Shotgun

Red Labels, Woodside, Gold Labels and Trap Guns
67stingray

Ruger Pump Shotgun

Post by 67stingray »

Is there any pictures available of the Ruger pump shotgun that showed up at the 1995 SHOT show?
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
gunman42782

Re: Ruger Pump Shotgun

Post by gunman42782 »

Never heard of it. Any info on this at all?
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

Tim,
Page 100 of the large version of RENE Reference, page 518 of the pocket version.
Not sure about any pictures. I'm sure Chad can add some insight.

Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

Thanks Terry
I never knew Ruger ever made a shotgun besides the Red and Gold labels. I wonder why they never put them in production?
GOA Member
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Unfortunately, there weren't any pictures taken of that shotgun.
An RENE member was at the show that year and walked by the Ruger booth before the crowd came in and noticed they had a pump shotgun on their display. It was like a Model 12 with a dustcover over the ejection port. Before the doors were opened to the crowd, the shotgun was taken off the display.
I don't remember if Ruger had their semi-auto shotgun out at that show, but they also worked on one of those to at least 2003.
The pump shotgun never made Ruger's production list because there were already too many pump shotguns out there at a price that was probably a lot better than what Ruger could offer them at, so they project was dropped at the time.
I can tell you that for several years now, Ruger has had a man working on a pump and a semi auto shotgun, a person they hired away from Browning. If you search Ruger's patents a little bit you will see the pics of what the design is like... something like a Benelli with "American" rifle styling of the forearm and buttstock.
Chet15
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

Great information Chad, thanks. I consider myself a fairly up to date guy on all things Ruger, but I have never even heard of that. Learn something new everyday as they old saying goes.
GOA Member
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Appreciate the info Chad, maybe someday Ruger will get back into the shotgun business, with Ruger you just really never know what goes on behind closed doors.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

A Ruger "Who-Dat" would be interesting. Maybe a couple different grades with both synthetic and good walnut for the stock and forearm. Bill Hamm knows what a "Who-Dat" is, and I am sure others can figure it out.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Yessir, I sure do. I sure would like to see Ruger make a quality pump similar to the Winchester Model 12. I love pump shotguns.
Bill
chet15

Post by chet15 »

As mentioned, they are still working on it.
Not sure why it takes so long to get a shotgun in the market after the concept is started. Ruger has always had issues with that.
I think the Red Label was begun about 1969 or maybe earlier.
Chet15