CMP Rimfire Sporter match rifle

Ruger8r

CMP Rimfire Sporter match rifle

Post by Ruger8r »

Built this straight shooting Sporty on a 1971 DSP. It has a full Volquartsen kit and an F.J. Feddersen match barrel with a Leupold VX Freedom 2-7x33 Rimfire scope. Shot a ragged hole at 50 ft with a 4x centerfire scope and match ammo. Hope to get to the range again soon for a proper 50 yd report with this setup. Great handling gun.
Here is a link to the barrel mfg. If you're not familiar with single-sided rifling you'll find something different here:
https://fjfeddersen.com/product-categor ... e-barrels/
The barrel has a really nice finish. Here are a couple photos:
Resizer_16592955575061.jpeg
Resizer_16592955798363.jpeg
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
gunman42782

Re: CMP Rimfire Sporter match rifle

Post by gunman42782 »

She's a beaut
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
dct454

Post by dct454 »

Very nice rifle. The fact that it shoots that well makes it even better. I checked out the barrel website as you suggested. Very interesting style of rifling. Seeing as how it is very accurate with soft lead 22lr ammo. I have to wonder if it would also work well with cast or swaged led bullets in center fire rifles or handguns??? Just thinking.
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks for the comments.
They do make CF pistol barrels.
Took it to the range a couple times. The first pic is a rushed sight-in at 50 yrs and 4x optics from a bag rest with SK High Velocity Match ammo. The second photo was the same set up at 7x optic. The top target was with SK HV Match and the lower target was Lapua Midas X. The outline squares are one inch. The rounds look identical and the results are similar. It was a hot morning with sweat-gets-in-your-eye conditions.
I'm having some fail to fire problems because of light strikes. When a failure occurs the round will not eject but ejection of fired rounds is good. I think I may have a worn firing pin. But instead of just replacing the FP I wonder if installing a match grade bolt would offer any improvement in accuracy? Not too bad the way it is.
Resizer_16628356267451.jpeg
Resizer_16628356463153.jpeg
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

Good looking Sporter and nice shooting! ;)
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

File this under the things-are-never-as-easy-as-they-look category.
After experiencing several FTF and FTE I decided to just change out the OEM bolt for a Kidd assembly with their guide rod, spring and handle kit. When I tried to install everything the bolt would not even lay down in the receiver track - the handle was shaped differently. Called Kidd. Said, oh, you need a modified one for your older gun and sent it right out. Second attempt everything went together but bound up when the trigger group was installed. Called Kidd. Said, oh, you need a modified guide rod that has a smaller pointy end and sent it right out. So, better but still binding. I tried using the OEM guide rod assembly and that freed everything up. I removed the stock handle from the assembly and installed it on the Kidd rod along with a tiny ferule between the handle and the spring. Works great now. I hope it tightens my groups up a little
So, if you plan to do this to your early Newport gun be sure to call Kidd for modified parts. They don't explain this on their website. Here's a photo - note the different extractor.
Resizer_16650242987521.jpeg
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

That Kidd bolt works flawlessly. Got a few shots in with SK LR Match at 50 yrs. Has the potential to be super accurate. I was a little Staley.
Resizer_16693991976931.jpeg
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

I'll say it has potental, that is mighty fine shooting!!
FT44