First year the Super Blackhawk was made in stainless steel

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros,
and New Vaqueros.
RandyXB9R

First year the Super Blackhawk was made in stainless steel

Post by RandyXB9R »

My question is a simple one. What year did Ruger make their first stainless steel Super Blackhawk?

I contacted Ruger and they responded that I should go to this forum and find out.

I met a old gent in town Tuesday (NW Montana) who was wearing a Super Blackhawk, stainless, 4-5/8" barrel with a rounded trigger guard and he said it was an old 3-screw model and that he carried it on an empty cylinder. I mentioned the factory would install a transfer bar safety and he said he didn't want that done. As it was loaded I didn't want to examine it but I noted he installed different sights on it. To me it looked like a newer Super Blackhawk and I tried to remember when they came out in stainless but couldn't raise a date. In my opinion, he's got a new model, stainless. If I see him again, I'll maybe just ask him if I can look at it. I have a feeling that I'll see a transfer bar under the hammer.

Thanks everyone.

Randy
flattop44

Re: First year the Super Blackhawk was made in stainless steel

Post by flattop44 »

You are correct, there were no 3-screw old model Supers made in stainless. I believe the first stainless Supers with 4-5/8" barrels were made in 1991. I remember William's Shooters Supply had some 4-5/8" made with round trigger guards and XR3-RED grip frame at that time. I had a couple of those back in the day. Maybe he has one of those.
FT44
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

I believe the first year for Super Blackhawks in stainless was 1982. Both the KS47N and KS410N were released.

1982 KS410N:
C1C9AE2B-334B-4C05-96AC-5FF62A778CE6.jpeg
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

You are correct, I meant to say stainless Supers with 4-5/8" barrels was 1991. I edited my post to clarify. Thanks for posting and clearing this up Arcticruger.
FT44
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

flattop44 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:55 pm You are correct, I meant to say stainless Supers with 4-5/8" barrels was 1991. I edited my post to clarify. Thanks for posting and clearing this up Arcticruger.
FT44
I knew that’s what you meant. The only reason I knew it 1982 was because of the 10.5” I came across last spring. ;)
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

That's a nice one too, those long barrel Supers really shoot.
FT44