Amber Single Six

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
JAYDAWG

Re: Amber Single Six

Post by JAYDAWG »

johncdougan wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:54 pm Radical One,

I suspect that your drool may be good for my treasures, I wouldn't be surprised if it is 50% Hoppes #9 and 50% WD40. I'm glad you enjoy seeing the rare guns I bring to the show, it's no fun if you can't share.

regards, John
Hoppes & WD40....... :lol:
Yep, you know RR well !

It is cool to me that you like to share the rare Rugers.
I met you in Tulsa 2022 when you were showing the prototype Hawkeye display
and you took half an hour to educate me and it was obvious you were enjoying
the process.
Thanks,
Jaydawg
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
chet15

Post by chet15 »

May 15, 1953 puts some perspective on how early the Prototype Amber engraved gun was completed by Agee... I suppose by May 1953 the letter prototype Single-Sixes had been completed as well.
Chet15
johncdougan

Post by johncdougan »

Good morning everyone,

Just a couple notes to pin point some of Chad's observations. Fortunately for collectors both revolvers are heavily documented. The Amber Gun was shipped to Cole Agee in 1952. An undated note from Amber to WBR indicates that the gun is at Agee's shop sometime before WBR hand wrote at the top of the same note, "Photo sent 2/4/53", this would indicate that the finished gun was in Ruger's possession at that time. The "photo sent" is the one featured on the 1954 GUN DIGEST. There is a black & white photo inside of the DIGEST that was taken by Agee himself.

Now, from the time Agee received the gun several events had to take place; Agee had to do the engraving, send the backstrap to Charles Jerred for him to do the inscription, Jerred send it back, Agee takes it to Johnny Allen for gold & silver plating and finally Agee made the faux ivory grips him self. So, you see it took some amount of time to prepare the gun to meet the GUN DIGEST deadline, which was early 1953.

The Amber Gun was fitted with a two piece Colt backstrap & trigger guard, Colt ejector assembly and a checkered hammer. Other prototype features are fully radiused cylinder flutes and a rounded front sight. All of the screw heads are domed.

The F Gun; the invoice from the ivory grip maker shows 6 pairs with "insignia inserted". The "date of order" is 3/11/53, it would seem reasonable to assume that the "letter guns" were probably complete at that time. They feature an XR3 grip frame, fully radiused cylinder flutes and a Ruger steel ejector assembly. Chad's estimate seems about right.

Sorry for the long winded reply, I am very proud to have these guns in my collection, so when the subject comes up, well, I can't resist.

Regards, John
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

John,
It would be awful hard to tell the story on that gun with out being long winded,, ;) .
I personally like to read about the history (fine details) on these rare guns, and you delivered. Thank You for sharing your guns, and your knowledge about them with all of us.
Best,
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
johncdougan

Post by johncdougan »

Terry,

Thank you for the kind words. There is more to the stories of these guns, however it is more forensic. I forgot to mention who Johnny Allen was, he owned or managed a plating shop in Ft. Worth and he plated Agee's guns for him.

Johnny Allen was best remembered as a champion motorcycle racer and salt flat speed record setter, he rode Triumphs and was actually featured on the cover of Triumph catalogues back in the 1950s.

The F Gun is alluded to in Warren Page's article in GUN DIGEST titled Six Gun '53 Style. The article mentions a meeting at a restaurant with Warren Page, Bill Ruger and John Amber, it has long been believed the F Gun was given to Warren at that time. It was among Page's collection when he passed away. Clair Ellsberry purchased it and the #13 collection from Mrs. Page - early 1970s. In 1986 I bought the gun from Clair.

regards, John
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Outstanding, great information John. I never get tired of reading all of these facts. Thanks for posting this, yoo are never too long winded my friend!
FT44/aka Bill
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

What a great thread.
Thanks to the Radical one for starting it, and John sharing his knowledge.
I appreciate it.

Jaydawg
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
d findley

Post by d findley »

Here is a picture of the "F" Single-Six and the Gun Digest article. This is a page from the leather bound book.
Attachments
21.jpg
radicalrod

Post by radicalrod »

I think John and Don should write a book or two :shock: :shock: :shock:
I am happy to see you guys sharing so much info I love the stories 8-) 8-) 8-)
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

The information here is amazing and a bunch of great people share it. It's an honor to be friends with so many like minded folks. Thanks for the history on that beautiful revolver.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...