Magnificent Mk. II

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
bruce

Magnificent Mk. II

Post by bruce »

Oh the joys of semi-auto pistols! When I want just plain predictable shooting ... I reach for my beloved S&W M-18. When something needs to be shot, that is the first handgun I grab. from hard off the muzzle right on out to a bit beyond 100 yds., that thing has been nothing but completely and utterly accurate and reliable in every sense of the word. It has a wonderful smooth double-action and a single-action that is like the proverbial glass rod breaking. If the IRS ever finds out about that little S&W, they'll probably send me a letter telling me I owe back taxes for all the joy and happiness that little revolver has brought to me. Oh well. If that happens, guess I'll have to pay the tax! After all, it would do me no good to deny that that M-18 has always been a wonderful shooting companion!

Now, on to my Mk. II. Beautiful little bit of stainless steel crafted by Ruger and owned by at least two people, the fellow who first bought it and let it go, and me! So glad I got my hands on it. Came w/ one less than reliable magazine. Blundered up on a couple of new Mk. II magazines in a local gunshop. Bought them and along w/ the MK. II I headed for the range. Halleluah!!! Fired in 25 and 50 round strings at 21 ft. Fired fast. No slow and easy. Target was a four inch orange circle. Center was one inch. After firing 250 rounds of Aguila Copper Coated Super Whack-A-Matic Match Grade ammo I had exactly one ... that's right, one malfunction. Apparently I failed to remember that I had loaded a round in the chamber so when I went to feed a round from the magazine, it failed to feed b/c of course the earlier hand fed unfired round was in the way! Guess I'll have to take the blame for that mistake! Fired one string of 100 rounds into one of those orange bullseyes. Wound up plunking all but 11 into a nice hole about 1 1/2 inches across. There were 3 rounds that were about 1 1/2 inches low. There were another 7 that refused to cooperate and ended up maybe 1 inch or so from the group. All in all, a delightful way to spend a bit of time on a rainy afternoon.

Had been having some problems with the pistol having feeding issues. So glad that it only required a couple of new magazines to transform my little MK. II from a "I hope it will feed" into "I know it will feed!" Truth is, this pistol is just about the most accurate semi-automatic pistol I've ever owned. I have a Marvel 1911 .22LR Conversion Unit that is mounted on the frame of my Rock Island Arms 1911-A1. With the same Aguila ammunition, it will shoot equally well, but of course that is to be expected given that the barrel is made by Shilen and the trigger has been tweaked to give a very consistent break. Day in and day out, I prefer the Ruger Mk. II for out and about shooting at the range and in the woods and fields. Takes me back to 1980 when I bought my first Mk. II and carried it in my pocket while working night security in a shipyard on the Inner Coastal Waterway in New Orleans. Sincerely. bruce
Last edited by bruce on Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
contender

Re: Magnificent Mk. II

Post by contender »

The "lowly" .22 is often overlooked by many as a very good caliber. And there are several makers, models & designs that fit so many of us,, that it's often a marvel of modern manufacturing.

Looks like you have a few of those very things. Pure pleasure & perfect for most applications.
Watertender

Re: Magnificent Mk. II

Post by Watertender »

contender wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:19 pm The "lowly" .22 is often overlooked by many as a very good caliber. And there are several makers, models & designs that fit so many of us,, that it's often a marvel of modern manufacturing.

Looks like you have a few of those very things. Pure pleasure & perfect for most applications.
To quote a now deceased hitman I knew in prison.... Dat Roo-Gah .22 woiks every time. Blah! Blah! Two inna dome and it's all ovah... Full disclosure... I worked there!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...