Sweetwater Rattle Snake Gun Show

Anything Ruger related.
ElNumeroUno

Sweetwater Rattle Snake Gun Show

Post by ElNumeroUno »

Don Findley and I at Sweetwater this weekend. Don has 3 new books for sale. Going fast and Ruger historical info tha will be found nowhere else.
IMG_0826.jpeg
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
flattop44

Re: Sweetwater Rattle Snake Gun Show

Post by flattop44 »

Hope you and Don had a great show.
FT44
johncdougan

Post by johncdougan »

Hello Guys,

In the early 1980s Steve Vogel and Nancy Padua flew out to Midland, Tx where I lived at the time. the next morning we had breakfast and headed to the Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup and Gun Show. We had a RCA display there, it was a pretty good show. Donnie has some photos from that show, perhaps he will share them here.

Anyway, rattlesnakes are nasty abominations and they had thousands of them there. Vendors were selling snake skin wallets, belts, hat bands and etc. I remember Crazy Ray from the Dallas Cowboys was there, they had a big horse tank with a couple hundred snakes in it, and Ray would jump in with and kick them around and taunt them. Boy they were mad.

The Kiwanis or Rotary manned a booth where they butchered and skinned the rattlers, then battered and fried the meat, for a little afternoon snack you could buy some chunks of it on a stick. Not me, rattlesnakes emit a foul odor that to me is not very appetizing, I reasoned, why would I put something in mouth that I wouldn't touch with my hands?

We used to hunt them in the early spring in the rocks along the Canadian River where I learned not to like them, killed one that measured 60"

Anyway, we all had a great time. Thanks for conjuring up old memories.

Regards, John
d findley

Post by d findley »

A fine looking group of young men!
Attachments
44.jpg
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

That is a great picture, I love Hutton's hair!! Ya'll are a fine looking bunch!
Bill
d findley

Post by d findley »

If you are interested in books in that picture email me at donfindley806@gmail.com Tom Hutton was in college when that pic was taken.