Montana Trip

JAYDAWG

Montana Trip

Post by JAYDAWG »

Just got home from Eastern Montana, about a 17 hour drive from home.
Weather cut the trip short but, still got 2 mornings of shooting on a couple of prairie dog fields. TO MUCH FUN!!
My Ruger American in 223/556, Nikon scope, and gemtech suppressor.
Now I'm cleaning guns and gear!

Cheers,
JAYDAWG
Attachments
20240504_112618.jpg
DSC_1368.JPG
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
flattop44

Re: Montana Trip

Post by flattop44 »

Man, that's a nice setup. Bet you did have fun.
Bill
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

Montana is the most beautiful state in the US, IMHO. Been there 3 times, and would move there if I could!
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
SteveRuger

Post by SteveRuger »

I grew up in Montana northwest of Great Falls shooting Varmints but, My Dad only let me have a Remington 514 22 single shot rifle which I got dang good with! It was not until I was in my mid 20's when I purchased a Ruger 220 Swift so those critters beyond the 22 long rifle range got to enjoy my fine marksman ship! Now I shoot a Ruger No.1 in 218 Bee and really enjoy it. I make it home a least a few times of the year especially in the spring to shoot.
Steve
GUN COLLECTORS.......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!
Doc4429

Post by Doc4429 »

I went to graduate school at UM in Missoula, 1966-1970. In addition to my studies in microbiology, I learned how to fly fish and tie flies (my virology professor was an expert at both). Spent many hours at Rock Creek, east of Missoula, a blue-ribbon trout stream chasing rainbow in the creek and brook trout in some beaver ponds. I also hunted ducks and geese in the Flathead Valley on the Flathead River across from Ninepipe, a game preserve and fairly close to the Mission Mountain Range. Western Montana is one of the best places in the United States (if you like mountains, rivers, and lakes :) ).

Bill
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

SteveRuger wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:47 pm I grew up in Montana northwest of Great Falls shooting Varmints but, My Dad only let me have a Remington 514 22 single shot rifle which I got dang good with! It was not until I was in my mid 20's when I purchased a Ruger 220 Swift so those critters beyond the 22 long rifle range got to enjoy my fine marksman ship! Now I shoot a Ruger No.1 in 218 Bee and really enjoy it. I make it home a least a few times of the year especially in the spring to shoot.
Steve,
I was SW of Miles City and decided that rather than blast straight west on 94 then 90, I went north and spent a night in Havre. LOTS of big sky up north!!
Dropped south on 87 out of Havre. Fort Benton to Helena was beautiful, as was the Missouri river. I'd like to spend some time in that area and learn about the history & see more sights.
Growing up in the Pacific NW, I like that area, there are evergreens and mountains, unlike Prairie county!
Take care
Jay
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Doc4429 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:33 am I went to graduate school at UM in Missoula, 1966-1970. In addition to my studies in microbiology, I learned how to fly fish and tie flies (my virology professor was an expert at both). Spent many hours at Rock Creek, east of Missoula, a blue-ribbon trout stream chasing rainbow in the creek and brook trout in some beaver ponds. I also hunted ducks and geese in the Flathead Valley on the Flathead River across from Ninepipe, a game preserve and fairly close to the Mission Mountain Range. Western Montana is one of the best places in the United States (if you like mountains, rivers, and lakes :) ).

Bill
Bill,
Don't know when you were there last, but I was shocked at the urban sprawl in Missoula and Butte!!
The political ads are already on the radio and TV and there is definitely a fight going on between the people
moving in, and the folks who are Montanans.
I think the time & experience you had there would be harder to find now.

Cheers,
Jay
twriggen

Post by twriggen »

Doc4429 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:33 am I went to graduate school at UM in Missoula, 1966-1970. In addition to my studies in microbiology, I learned how to fly fish and tie flies (my virology professor was an expert at both). Spent many hours at Rock Creek, east of Missoula, a blue-ribbon trout stream chasing rainbow in the creek and brook trout in some beaver ponds. I also hunted ducks and geese in the Flathead Valley on the Flathead River across from Ninepipe, a game preserve and fairly close to the Mission Mountain Range. Western Montana is one of the best places in the United States (if you like mountains, rivers, and lakes :) ).

Bill
I had the great pleasure of growing up in Missoula and graduating from the U of M, GO GRIZ, but just a few years behind you. It is hard to compare to any other place out there, and I've lived in a few since then for comparison. As with Steve I only had a 22lr, a single shot Ithaca Model 49. Dad said if you couldn't hit it with the first shot you didn't deserve a second. Eventually I was able to buy my own and I upgraded to a Marlin 781. I still have both of them, but it took some finagling and a lot of years to get the Ithaca from my father. On the west side of the Continental Divide we had Columbia Ground Squirrels, or gophers as we called them. We would camp out, or stay at my uncle's house up in Ovanda, and then head out when the sun came up with a brick of 22lr each. Rarely did we not run out of ammo before noon and back in for lunch. A lot of good memories and borrowed ammo still owed to my uncle when we ran out but there were more gophers to "educate".
Troy

Possessions have a way of possessing their possessors. - Daniel L. Dustin
Doc4429

Post by Doc4429 »

Jay...I agree Missoula is not the same as it was when I was there. Traffic is a mess and you can't find a parking place near the campus. I haven't been to Rock Creek or the Blackfoot River in years, and I am glad I can remember them the way they were. Too many people have moved there from other states that are trying to change Montana into what they moved to get away from.

My wife and I are originally from Spokane, WA and similar things have happened there.

Bill