Little help please.

Coogs

Little help please.

Post by Coogs »

Long story here, but when I get the Max I'll post some pics and it will become a little clearer. (Don't just love a little suspense?) Any one know, or ever hear of Paul Janesak? May have been an employee? Possibly connected to Davidson's? Any help would be appreciated, thanks, Jack.
ElNumeroUno

Re: Little help please.

Post by ElNumeroUno »

I am not recognizing the name. Sorry.
Lee
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
Coogs

Post by Coogs »

Thanks, Lee. Possibility that he may have been an employee of Davidson's? Chasing down all the leads is what make this interesting and fun! Jack
frankpancho

Post by frankpancho »

Paul Janeczek was a long time Ruger employee who started out as a polisher and rose to position as Polishing Room Foreman, a position he held until the Southport Division closed in late 1991. He then went on to assist the Newport Division with polishing procedures for Single Action Revolvers. He also lent his expertise to develop procedures related to finishing titanium golf heads for the Ruger/Callaway golf collaboration. Paul was a very knowledgeable man whose contribution to SR was significant. Paul passed away about 2 years ago.
Coogs

Post by Coogs »

Frank, God Bless you! I had a real good feeling he was an employee. Very sorry to hear of his passing. My lap top is down at home so pic posting may be a while away...............so............ I just aquired Max serial #600-00179 10 1/2 barrel. The shipper does not have the rubber Max stamp on it. Hand written Paul Janeszak and the serial number on it. Box does not have a Maximum end label on it. Strange white label, which I have never seen before, rubber stamped date, May 24, 1983, and wrong serial number 600-00196 hand written. Neat thing about it the gun "shipped" with an extra 7 1/2 barrel, extra ejector rod housing and extra rear sight. Talked to Ruger records already. In one way, unfortunately, it letters as a 7 1/2. If it did letter as a 10 1/2 it would have been nice as I have #600-00178 which is a 7 1/2, but................ I was hoping to be able to confirm that he had the barrel switched at the factory, but.................Thanks again, Frank, I appreciate it very Much. Jack
frankpancho

Post by frankpancho »

Jack
Employees often put their own spin on personal(Ruger) firearms purchases and the Company was rather liberal when it came to such things so long as no one strayed too far from the original concept (ie special high polish, steel ej housings, good wood etc). We often joked that "employee grade" was the highest possible quality out of the factory.

Frank
Coogs

Post by Coogs »

Frank, I guess sometimes referred to "lunch box specials"? Didn't employee guns still go through an FFL? I know that Rody's was one. Another others that you know of? Jack
Coogs

Post by Coogs »

X1, thanks. I've talked to Henry R. but it's been a day or two.............may back check that way, Jack
frankpancho

Post by frankpancho »

Jack
Sales to Southport employees was first handled internally. In the mid seventies concern was expressed over the Companies liability for maintaining such a policy so employee sale transfers were sent outside and handled by Hansen's. Current policy has Southport transfers being done by Mitch Schultz. Of course, Newport transfers continue to be done by by my great friend Henry. Talk about persons who have made a tremendous contribution to the success of SR. Henry is very high on that list.
Coogs

Post by Coogs »

Like I said, I've talked to Henry in the past. Seems like quite the character. Jack