Red Label All Weather Engraved

Dan Duke

Red Label All Weather Engraved

Post by Dan Duke »

A friend has a pet Label engraved model that he shoots for most everything. I can't find much printed info on this piece. We know they started in 2000 but how long were they mfge.how many etc.? Any leads from the experts in this forum? Thanks in advance and Happy Trails To You!
Ruger No.1

Re: Red Label All Weather Engraved

Post by Ruger No.1 »

There is not much info on these. They were made with 26, 28 and 30 inch barrels. No idea how many were made, but they are fairly rare. The 28" seems to be the most common of them. A word of caution, the gold is incredibly thin and wears off easily. Those are neat shotguns. Hope your friend enjoys it.
Dan Duke

Post by Dan Duke »

Thanks, Number 1. I'll pass this on! Anyone else have dates and numbers?
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

According to the Reference of Ruger Firearms, They made approx. 22,603 28 ga Red Labels from 1995 to 2009+; 61,534+ 20 ga from 1978 to 1995, 37,584+ 20 ga from 1996 t 2009+; 68,567 12 ga from 1982 to 1994, and 80,221+ 12 ga from 1994 to 2009+

If you subscribe to RENE (Red Eagle News Exchange), you will get a free copy of the Reference of Ruger Firearms and it will give you all kinds of data about the Red Label, Blue Label, Gold Label and all the other shotguns that Ruger made. Plus all the info you want about ALL the guns that Ruger produced over the years. The subscription price is actually pretty low for what you get, about $35 per year I think.

If you can post the serial number we can give you an approx. birth date of the shotgun. If he has any other info (model number, etc.) that would also be very helpful. He can also request a letter from Ruger (costs $10) and they will tell you the model number and when it was shipped from the factory. Be advised, the date it shipped can be very different from the date it was manufactured. For example, I have a NIB first year (possibly 2nd year) 1970/1971 date of manufacture Security Six that wasn't shipped from Ruger until 2006!
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Dan Duke

Post by Dan Duke »

Thanks, Ronin PA.
This subject piece is an All Weather Engraved Ruger # 411-66152. No inscription as to model, on the bbl.
Dan
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Dan,
The serial number dates it to a build date of 2004. If your friend still has the box or any paperwork somewhere it should have the model number. Otherwise he could "letter" it from Ruger and Ruger would tell you the model number. The model number would tell you the length of the barrels and how it was choked from the factory.

That s/n is in the range of Red Labels that were machined engraved with either gold plated pheasants (wood stock) or ducks (all weather model). It may be Model KRL-1227-BRE (Stainless steel receiver, all weather stock, 28" barrels w/screw in chokes). I can't find how many of that particular model they may have made, the range for all of the all weather models is about 53,000 in 16 or so different variations.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Ruger No.1

Post by Ruger No.1 »

Dan, The cataloged numbers for all weather shotguns all start with KRLP - I'm guessing the P stands for plastic stock. If you buy a $10 letter from Ruger on the shotgun, they won't give you how many of those were made. It will be exactly what Ron said - just a shipped date and model number.

The only all weather with an exact known quantity is the camo-dipped one made for Lipseys. They show that 630 of them were made from 2003-2008, so more or less at the same time. Based on my experience, about as many engraved all weathers turn up as camo all weathers. So if I had to guess, I'd say they made roughly that many.

Ruger has made many variations (probably well over 100) in their shotguns, so some of them end up being extremely rare. Other than me, I'm not aware of anyone else collecting them, so is hard to get a handle on them. For example, just in the NEW Red Labels (KRLG2), there are 12 and 20 gauge, both offered with 26,28 and 30 inch barrels. In the 12 gauge, I've found two very different forearm styles and two different LOP's. Also the earliest 12 gauges did not have the Ruger Eagle etched on the bottom of the receiver. Also, a very few (perhaps only one) of the 12 gauges was machine engraved with pheasants similar to the KRL.

Hope this helps, Tom
chet15

Post by chet15 »

The "P" is Ruger's designation for all-weather, Zytel stock.
Chet15