RUGER RED LABEL 20 GAUGE

Red Labels, Woodside, Gold Labels and Trap Guns
SPAS 15

RUGER RED LABEL 20 GAUGE

Post by SPAS 15 »

Just added a fifth RRL to my collection. It is a sweet little 20 gauge and the first of my RRL's to have blued receiver, barrels and wooden furniture.

I do not usually buy guns with wooden furniture but i thought seeing as it was in a different calibre to my other RRL's it was a good enough reason to buy it and it was only £450, which is approx $588. This now means that i will have to start collecting RRL's in the other variants available and also that i will need to get another gun cabinet.

The serial number is 400-02689 which i believe gives it a date of around 1979 - 1980. Hope you like the photos.
Attachments
IMG_1552.JPG
IMG_1553.JPG
Last edited by SPAS 15 on Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watertender

Re: RUGER RED LABEL 20 GAUGE

Post by Watertender »

Nice score Simon!! I am still impressed with your article in the ROCS Digest. You have a great collection indeed.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

That is a beauty! Wish I could find a 20 for $588.
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Than is a real nice 20 Ga. Red Label and a great deal Simon!! Way to go!
Bill
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Great find and price!!
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

Hello Simon. You have a wonderful, early Ruger Red Label! I own one of these with 28" barrels and screw in chokes with a blued receiver in 20 gauge. It is an over run production gun for those made for Orvis in the states. The Orvis guns have a medallion, this one has very nice grain wood like yours!
Did you receive the "extra" copies of the ROCS Fall Digest from me? Just checking as I never heard from you?
Brass Frame/Lee E
SPAS 15

Post by SPAS 15 »

Hello Lee.

Thanks for your comments. Managed to get round to cleaning it thoroughly today and it looks a lot better. Considering its age it is in a good condition. It has 26" choked barrels with the top barrel being Modified and the bottom barrel is Improved Cylinder.

I have heard of the Orvis guns and will certainly buy one if i see one.

I did receive my extra copies of the Digest, thank you. I gave one to a friend of mine who purchased one of the three i imported from Denmark and i gave a copy to my Firearms Importer, Alwyn.

He was very pleased with his copy and told me that he is going to be using the article in the Digest as an example of the work he does importing and exporting firearms for the gun trade and private individuals to help him in his application to the relevant authorities here in the U.K.for his next level of certification to forward his business.

If it helps him achieve his goal then it has made a great ending to the story and we will of both gained from it.