Amoskeag Auction 19NOV, 1954 .22LR SS 5.5"

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
T.A. Workman

Re: Amoskeag Auction 19NOV, 1954 .22LR SS 5.5"

Post by T.A. Workman »

When you said that you had a bid on it, I had a feeling it would end up in Alabama, ;)

She's a beauty for sure! Merry Xmas! :mrgreen:
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Please tell me about this "thinning/goldish" top strap. It reminds me of the way that precious metals can tone over time. I think it's a very pretty! Being uneducated on the subject, I might have considered this to be a flaw if I saw one somewhere. I do recall reading something about this but can't remember where. Based on your comments, I am taking this to be a desirable characteristic.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Yes, it is to most Ruger of us Ruger collectors. Ruger actually sent out a "discolor notice" with their early Single-Sixes about the guns turning a plumish/purple or other color streaks like gold or a reddish color. It basically said if you send the gun back for rebluing it may not change its appearance. Some of the disclolor look like lightning streaks. It was later determined to be the the mix of molten metal used in the molds of the lost wax process. I have heard too much silicon, chromium or the wax used in the molds that caused this problem. We love these colors!!
Bill
d findley

Post by d findley »

Here is a copy of that paper.
Attachments
25.jpg
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Thank you, both! I'm going to dig through my literature to see what else I can learn about these before asking more potentially dumb questions. My interest level on the subject is now very high. Truly a beautiful gun you've shown. Thanks for letting me hang out here to learn from you all. In the meantime, may I please see some more examples of this "defect"?
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I bid $40, an AMF Moped, a Frisbee & a Wham-O Wrist Rocket!! Seriously Bill that is a great find. I am happy for you
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Thata Boy Carl, Like T.A.W said if you want it,,,,, you better go after it!!
I would have thought thought the Wham-O Wrist Rocket would have closed the deal.
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I raise my bid by a bag of marbles, a Moon Pie & a 16oz R C Cola... That should get some interest
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Oh man, you are putting pressure on this country boy now...moon pie and R C Cola...you ain't being fair! :cry: :cry:
Bill