Chief AJ rollered tune Ruger Autos

Includes .22 Standard, Mark I, Mark II, Mark III and all Centerfire Semi-Auto Pistols.
Hawkeye28

Re: Chief AJ rollered tune Ruger Autos

Post by Hawkeye28 »

Have fond memories of The Chief and Roger Dorsett at the NRA Annuals in New Orleans in 1986. Both brilliant compatriots......... 8-)
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

I have been lucky enough to have found one of these and it's an RCA on top of the chief rollered tune job.
It came from a dealer that I have purchased 3 Chief AJ 10-22's from in the past 6 months. Based on the 10-22's I bought, with Chucks input
we guessed I had stumbled on the late Col Robert Rayburns collection.
When the dealer said he had a pistol from the same collection of course I told him I wanted it and when it arrived this week it was confirmed that it came from Col Rayburn.
If anyone can add to the story I would be grateful.
Cheers,
JAY
Attachments
SAM_0613.JPG
SAM_0612.JPG
SAM_0614.JPG
SAM_0615.JPG
SAM_0620.JPG
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

More pics
Attachments
SAM_0621.JPG
SAM_0619.JPG
SAM_0617.JPG
SAM_0616.JPG
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

A close up of the lable
Attachments
SAM_0630.JPG
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

WOW,
Incredible Find JAY
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

I remember when the Chief was doing a few of these and they did have a very good trigger. Great find and glad you are the new care taker Jay! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Charlie1022
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Jay, I'm sure glad that you acquired this while there was still time to get some of the info on them into the book. Most know John for his work with 10/22s but he did work on Standards, MKIs, and MKIIs. He developed or helped to develop mounts and optics, triggers, holsters, grips, 12 shot magazines, loaders, and a quick magazine release for some models.

The pistol like the one you have shown is called the Chief AJ Chamber Seal Edition and this is my edited version of what John had to say about them.

The Stainless Steel Ruger .22 Pistol is a roller tune project that I did way back in 1980's. The Ruger Collector's Association had done a Chamber Seal with R.C.A. over the ejection port. So, I did a Chamber Seal with CHIEF AJ over the ejection port. I also put my logo on the handgun. The roller tune job is very detailed with all internal parts highly polished and the round peg in the square hole replaced with a real roller for an extra good trigger pull. I did only 4 "CHAMBER SEALS" and sold them for $895.00 each.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Jay I have a BIG jug of corn likker with your name on it... I will bring it along with an entire bag of marbles, a cast iron skillet, 2 sets of Arkinsaw LUUUV Pants, 2 red bandannas, a striped railroad hat, a Barlow knife & a case of Bush baked beans.... You bring that pistol & we will swap even.... Seriously Jay that is a great piece. Glad you got it!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Jay, it appears as if Robert acquired two of the 4.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

My original post on this gun is not quite correct. The RCA box does not go with this gun.
Quoting from Ruger and his Guns by R.L. Wilson on page 32 under MAJOR VARIATIONS to the Standard he says:

"Ruger Collector Association Chamber Seal: 6" pistol with serial range 15-45602 to 75740; 301 made, hand engraved RCA logo on top of breech of receiver (near barrel), with special numbers RCA 1500 to 1599, or RCA 01400 to 01600".
The RCA box this Chief tuned gun came to me in had 1551 written on the side and the shipping label had #1550 and #1551 listed on it.
It looks like to me like RCA 1551 chamber seal is missing it's box and I have it......

JAY