Chief AJ collectable 10/22's and items.

All Memorabilia
RocDoc

Re: Chief AJ collectable 10/22's and items.

Post by RocDoc »

That will be great! I have heard about the Chief here and there on the forum, but do not know a lot of detail. Hope they give you room for a long article with plenty of pictures.
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Article.......how much room do you have? The life of Chief AJ could be a book all by itself. Unbelievable! I hope that someone here might be interested in co-authoring a book on the subject cough cough "DON". The Chief is keen on the idea.

After spending the last two days with him I don't even know where to start. He welcomed this stranger in with open arms and is now a true friend. I recorded about 3 hours of conversations and more than a few hours of video. There were more but my phone died twice. I made some purchases, traded some things, and returned with some extremely rare and truly one of a kind items. I believe that I could fill my two tables at Tulsa with just a Chief AJ display.....

Most notably, I filmed him hitting a carp with a slingbow at about the same angle and height as we would typically sit in a deer stand for his website. An impressive shot to say the least.

I also received some shooting instructions from the man himself.

I'll never forget the experience.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I'm going to save the "new" memorabilia for Tulsa. For now, here are a few pics from the weekend.
Attachments
IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0596.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0604.JPG
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Why dont you co-author a book with the Chief yourself??? For sure you can spell your name, read, write and reference a dictionary, you are perfectly capable of co-authoring a book. Obviously you have a connection with Chief that most others do not have. There are some of us here that could help edit the work. Honestly, this is a chance to put down a good story that will sadly be lost in the future. Start with an outline (details of chapters and sections within each chapter) of your book to help organize your thoughts, and it will fall into place afterward,

You must know all this, looked up your user name as I realised you were a fish scientist. You for sure know how to publish.
Last edited by RocDoc on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

My connection with the Chief before this weekend was nothing special. Now, I would consider him a friend and hope the same from him. You see, I'm the type of person that is not bashful about reaching out to someone for information. About four or five years ago I was given Roger Dorsetts card by another former RCA member and actual friend LeRoy Johnson who knew my passion for Rugers. I just called him out of the blue. Roger and I spoke a few times and exchanged some letters and he even sent me some memorabilia for my collection. In one of our exchanges, he sent a small wood block with projectile stuck in it. I had to call him to ask what it was! I had never heard of the Chief so I began to do a little more research. Intrigued by the man, and embarrassed that I hadn't heard of him prior to that time, I contacted him next. This last weekend just happened to come together somehow. I think that he spent some our first evening together really feeling me out because he really opened up about his life on our second day together. My minimal contact with Roger might have helped some but I believe that any of you could reach out to the Chief. He's just that type of person. His website even says after his cell phone number "For Shooting Advice of your own just call The Chief on the Phone". I hope I didn't strike a nerve with anyone by mentioning Don as a possible co-author. His experience and connections within the community along with an obvious passion for writing made him the strongest candidate in my eyes. Don did some things for this complete stranger that was above and beyond what most would have done when I first began posting in the forum. It was a natural inclination to attempt to bring him on board. I have no delusions of grandeur or get rich quick schemes from this book idea. I just want the Chiefs life to be documented and not forgotten. He deserves that. I've already begun working on the research, outline, and organization of my thoughts. Thank you for your thoughts and encouragement!
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Read my edit before your last post, you can do this, probably include Charlie10/22 AS I recall he has similar experience with the Chief. As a scientist, you know how to write and publish, although this effort will be to a different audience. I will buy a copy if you and the Chief will sign it!!
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

RocDoc, thank you for your comments! I've published a few things at part of my M.A in biology regarding research I did during the BP oil spill as well as some experiments developed for AP 6th and 7th graders regarding marine aquaria. All with extreme help from my committee and one co-authorship on cave fish species with one of my mentors but nothing like this. I also did not finish my Masters. I'm 13 credit hours shy but everything else projects wise was completed. Maybe one day I'll return however, it's probably not necessary. The business that I started in 2008 really started to take off and I couldn't divide myself in two at the time. Today, I stay busy but also have some freedoms that would allow me to take on this task. I am a motivated and extremely driven person. If I put my mind to it, anyone that knows me will tell you that I'll make it happen one way or another.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Count me in to help with the book about Chief AJ. I have known him since back in the late 1980's. I would be more than happy to share what I know about him. I remember one time he stayed with us and he was on the floor helping my daughter with her homework.
We also need to include his wife as she is the silent part of the chief.
Charlie1022
Charlie1022
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Yes, Charlie! I'm sure you know she's an artist. I think a chapter with a bio of her, her own memories, artwork like the 10 rifles she painted and other wall pieces would be great additions. I know how they met (great story), when he and that she is responsible for him ultimately being baptized.
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

It was great talking to you this morning and I am sure we will talk more.
Charlie1022
Charlie1022