Chief AJ collectable 10/22's and items.

All Memorabilia
Coogs

Re: Chief AJ collectable 10/22's and items.

Post by Coogs »

I've been to many, many shows with AJ over the years. 80's through the early 90's, Bill Goodman shows, Detroit and Louisville and the PGCA in Monroeville. He WAS a Showman for sure. And had more BS than any 10 people I know put together!
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

That's funny! Roger Dorsett a few years ago told me something very similar regarding his booming voice and ability to overwhelm a room with his presence. Especially with the headdress on. BTW many of my Chief AJ items are from Roger and he deserves some credit for them.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
radicalrod

Post by radicalrod »

Well I meet the "CHIEF" at the OGCA in Cleveland must have been in 1994 as he was selling his 30th ANN 10/22......he was certainly an entertainer.....I bought the last one he had and used a credit card ....well he ripped up the carbon copies and threw them in the air like confetti.....I think he might have been louder than another character I meet in Cleveland......good times....I have two of his 10/22's with his CHIEF AJ roll marked on the side.....both have the box and test target.....RR
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

When Chief AJ is in the area everyone knows he is there with his booming voice. He is a very interesting person that I have become friends with over the years. I don't know of any other exhibition shooter who has set so many different records with so many different shooting items. Yes the 10/22 was his first big record setter but he also set records with BB guns, bow and arrow, Long bow, sling shot and now a sling bow. He not only talks a big story but can back it up when he shoots. He and his wife have stayed at my place twice and he setup with me at a gun show in Lima, Ohio. After the show we put on a big shoot at a gun range that I belonged at to let people try out some of the 10/22's he tricked out. He would put on a quick demonstration on how to shoot moving targets and then everyone try. I can remember several years ago when he was doing BB gun shoot in Findlay, Ohio he stopped at the Lima gun show on Sunday on his way home just to say hi and drop off one of his special BB guns for me. He is a showman for sure but he is also a man of great faith. I have had the privilege to get to know both sides of him. He is also a pretty good saleman!
Charlie1022
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Well, I've been on the phone with Chief AJ twice today. John was so kind to me and shared many stories. THEN :!: , he invited me to stay at his home the weekend after this one. The plan is to eat well, hang out, and talk as much as time will allow, go sling bow fishing on Saturday morning, then head to the range for some shooting. I never thought that I would have an opportunity like this and I'm certain it will be an unforgettable experience. He said "I"m 80 and don't extend offers like this often so you better take me up on it." Without hesitation, I said, "Yes sir, I'll be there."
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Wow, that is too cool. I am sure that you will have an unforgettable experience. Can hardly wait to hear about it.
Bill
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

Instead of just posting about your experience, maybe you could write an article for the Digest
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I would be more than happy to. If anyone has anything specific that they would like me to inquire about for the article please pm me your specific questions. We are for sure going to discuss this meeting with Roy Rogers in 86, various records he's set, and really I just want to hear about his life and experiences from his own mouth. I look forward to shooting some of his many items that shoot and doing so with the legend himself. Additionally, and I'm hesitant to mention it but I'll have at least one surprise for Tulsa related to this experience 8-) .
Attachments
Chief AJ & Roy Rogers 1986.jpg
Chief AJ & Roy Rogers 1986.jpg (103.2 KiB) Viewed 4683 times
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Maybe if you are really fortunate you will be able to come up with a Chief AJ 10/22 to add to your impressive collection. That would top off your visit in a big way. Enjoy yourself & hopefully write about it in a future ROCS Journal
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I promise to write an article about this experience! I can't promise that it will not require editing :D .
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber