Early Gold Label articles

Red Labels, Woodside, Gold Labels and Trap Guns
Ruger No.1

Early Gold Label articles

Post by Ruger No.1 »

Does anyone recall what publications or authors did an article on the Gold Label in its early days? Any help would be appreciated.
HHH

Re: Early Gold Label articles

Post by HHH »

Here's one: http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun ... ed-classic

The American Rifleman did an article, and I think a picture was on the front cover. I'll see if I can find it.
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

That was an interesting read HHH, thanks for posting. I own a Gold Label and really like it, handles just right for me.
FT44
chet15

Post by chet15 »

One issue of the "Ruger Newsletter", about 1982 as I recall, had a nice pic of the original Gold Label concept, which was a bar in wood type Woodside with stainless receiver and highly engraved. This prototype was also serial number 410-00016, numbered right out of the 12 gauge Red Label sequence.
Then there was a blue label (blue "bar-in-wood" receiver) pictured on a back cover I believe it was of a gun digest. If its not on the rear cover its pictured inside somewhere.
As you can tell, the original "Gold Label" concept was much different than Rugers later side by side production gun.
Chet15
k2nd

Post by k2nd »

Just joined ROCS and found this thread. There was an excellent article on the Gold Label in the Double Gun Journal Volume 17 Issue 4 Winter 2006. Several nice photos in the article including 1 of the action out of the wood. You can buy a copy from them for $15. Hope this helps.
k2nd