New Scope, Bad Ammo!

Ruger8r

New Scope, Bad Ammo!

Post by Ruger8r »

About 5 weeks ago I put 20 rds of S&B 45 gr FMJ through my 77/22 Hornet RSH at the end of a club high-power match. I could only shoot about a 4-inch group at 100 yds from prone with a bag rest. OK for the first time out. I brought the gun home and put it away until yesterday, when I pulled it out to mount a scope on it. I discovered a brown substance that looked like rust blooming out of the muzzle and the bore covered in crap. Freaked me out! Never seen anything like this. A quick net check revealed that there have been reports of S&B ammo with BAD POWDER. One guy wrote up a test on a bad batch of .30 Carbine that did the same thing. And S&B apparently does not acknowledge a problem. I will be calling Outdoor Limited, from whence it came, tomorrow. The 60 rds of S&B I ran through the Mini 30 left the bore very clean. I didn't take a photo of the Hornet muzzle but I did of the patches I ran through it - and it's still not clean. Left it soaking on Break-Free and can't tell if there is any pitting, yet.
20200704_162732.jpg
20200704_162929.jpg
Now to the scope.
Found this NIB Leupold Vx2 2-7 x 28 Ultralight that was made the same year as the RSH. Mounted it on low rings and it looks pretty good. It's very handy and cones right up to a natural, close cheek weld. Now that the outdoor ranges are open (though jammed) I will have to get some other ammo for a range report.
20200704_145538.jpg
20200704_152124.jpg
The bolt handle just fits around the ocular bell so care must be taken to avoid scraping the knurled ring but not bad. I think it makes a cool vintage package.
Owen
Last edited by Ruger8r on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
gunman42782

Re: New Scope, Bad Ammo!

Post by gunman42782 »

Rifle and scope looks great! Sorry about the ammo trouble.
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
67stingray

Re: New Scope, Bad Ammo!

Post by 67stingray »

Hate it about the bad ammo, hopefully you can get it clean with no damage, I have a M77/22 Mag. and love shooting. Great rifles, hope you find the ammo that your barrel likes.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.