Calling all 10/22 collectors

Includes .44 & 10/22 Carbines; Mini-14, 30 & 6.8; Model 96 & 99/44 Deerfields; M77s; PC 4s & 9s; AC-556; MP9; XGI.
Charlie1022

Calling all 10/22 collectors

Post by Charlie1022 »

I would like to invite other 10/22 collectors to the OGCA show next July here in Ohio to show off your collection and share information about one of the greatest 22 rifles ever made. There are so many different models that many do not even know exist. Wouldn't it be great to have many different displays 10/22 displays at this show? So look through your collections and think of how you can share information on the area of over 8 million 10/22's that you like.
Charlie1022
Charlie1022
markebrit

Re: Calling all 10/22 collectors

Post by markebrit »

I dont know Charlie but I love your enthusiasm. I know there are a ton of 10/22 collectors out there but I'm not sure if they consider themselves Ruger collectors. From what I've seen here and in the RCA it seems The big Ruger collectors like those one handed gadgets or big caliber long guns and most seem embarassed to tell if they do own a 10/22 or two. I spent years on the RCA site trying to muster support but to no avail. Besides you and Vaughn, there arent many that will share much or anything about there 10/22's

But let's see, maybe I'll rile somebody up!
Mark

Oh, Rod's not shy about his 10/22's, but he's really not shy about anything
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Thanks Mark! I agree that is hard for the 10/22 to compete in some ways against the handguns and the much more expensive guns. Especially when you show the laminated 10/22's like I do even when they are as rare as some of mine are. It is always in the eye of the judge and they may each have a different idea when using the same set of rules. It does get a little disturbing at time and I did stop displaying for a while in part because of it and because of other thinks that I decided to do with my spare time. Now I am not complaining because there were some really great displays in Tulsa and there was a lot of work put in by the new club to get more new members and display out in the public view again. And for that I think they are doing a great job to get more new members. I feel that we all need to work together to get more people educated about what we collect no matter if it is the old guns that are very hard to find and or afford. We need to work together to get more interest in the many different choices in what is collectable or our hobby will be out of the reach of many new younger collectors due to the cost of the very old and rare choices.
As an example Radical brought an early 3 digit 10/22 gun to the show yesterday for me to look at and offered it to me at what I considered a fair price but at this time was out of my budget right now. It was not in the area of what I am currently displaying. If the cost of collecting gets to the point that is cost prohibitive will have a hard time finding buyers for our collections down the road and that will make it harder to get new members. If people do like I did and chose a specific area of interest when something new comes out. You get in on the ground floor so to speak and if you help generate others interest in the same thing then that helps attract new members. If you look at the current age of those with displays at the shows we are mostly of retirement age. When I first starting displaying 20 some years ago we were mostly all working age. We need to do something to get the younger age group interested. I part that is why I am getting back into displaying again.
Charlie1022
Charlie1022
markebrit

Post by markebrit »

Charlie, you bring up a couple of interesting points. I think your right about about the fact that every new collector adds value to whatever is being collected. Case in point, I never knew I needed red and white 10/22 mags until I saw a pic of yours.
Also you mentioned the need for younger collectors and I couldnt agree more. I think this site would be the best way to corral some of those youngsters and older ones as well. If more of those retired collectors were coerced into participating on the site by posting pics and telling stories they could reach more people than a lifetime of gun shows and create intrest where there was none.
That reminds me, where's Vaughn?
radicalrod

Post by radicalrod »

markebrit wrote: That reminds me, where's Vaughn?
I would think either milking the cows or quietly buying more AWESOME RIFLES.....

V is a stealth collector....he always flys under the radar 8-) 8-) 8-)

I remember the H burg show where Vaughn and another ROOKIE DISPLAYER showed up.....

Vaughn had the 1st RIFLE RUGER sold to the public...serial #4 and the other NEWBIE had a SPANISH ENGRAVED RSSE :shock: :shock: :shock:

I had a few beat up FLAT TOPS.....glad I was in the ADVANCED CLASS that weekend :D :D :D
rugerdczr

Post by rugerdczr »

Hi Charlie 10/22, I had collected most of the 10/22 Laminates up until 8 years ago but I just couldn't keep up with all the new models seemed like every week I would see a new model. so I sold most of them off and keeping just the first 12 10/22 Laminates and I got into the Walnut Classic Models and I think I have most of them and always looking for more.
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

I also limited my collecting because of the many new models the just keep coming. It is always fun to keep watching for the new laminated ones as well as special models. I also watch for new serial numbers like I have reported the new and special serial numbers.. That is the fun of collecting! you do what you like. Keep us posted on any new finds.
Charlie1022
Charlie1022
rugerdczr

Post by rugerdczr »

Like I said i'm into the Classic 10/22s and just pickup model 11102 1022 RB-CB with is the same Gun no difference from the model 11165 1022 RCAB, I will look again and see if there is any minor different anything. anybody else see these?
markebrit

Post by markebrit »

Post us a pic of one of these, or both!
mark
Sherwood, or.
44rugerr

Post by 44rugerr »

Charlie,

Met your at the Ohio show in July. Would you be interested in a laminated ss 10/22 race rifle. Nib unfired. I also have many of the early Lams nib that I would like to get to a collector. I could get you a list.