M77/22 walnut stock variations

Includes .44 & 10/22 Carbines; Mini-14, 30 & 6.8; Model 96 & 99/44 Deerfields; M77s; PC 4s & 9s; AC-556; MP9; XGI.
chet15

Re: M77/22 walnut stock variations

Post by chet15 »

Well... always something new!
Something else I noticed on the stainless guns with zytel stocks... They don't all say "ALL WEATHER". Ruger got rid of that sometime late in production... not to mention the eagle logo disappearing off the receiver rollmark several years ago.
On the thin 77 series forearm... would an easy way to spot these be with or without the swell at the bottom of the forearm just in front of the magazine area?
Chet15
Ruger8r

Re: M77/22 walnut stock variations

Post by Ruger8r »

I don't have one to compare but I think the narrow forearm stocks may be thinner all the way back. I look for the flat area to extend nearly to the sling attachment on the narrow forearms. A slightly wider stock with no taper might create the apoearance of a swell with the shorter flat area in front of the mag.

One way to to tell might be to measure the distance between the two points of the checkering. They should be closer together on the narrow stocks.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector