Need Help 2.0

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
bruce

Need Help 2.0

Post by bruce »

Well, I "sorta" need help. Maybe. I don't know. That's why I'm turning to the ROCS brain trust.

Way back on 3/4/23, I had an issue w/ my OM .357 SA. Hammer followed down after cocking w/o me pulling trigger. For some reason, it sorted itself out. Thought it might have been a bit of trash, whatever that seemed to work itself out. Cool!

A few weeks ago, had a different problem. Wiped it down after a range session. Cleaned the barrel, cylinder, etc. Replaced the cylinder in the frame and put in the base pin. Went to cock the hammer and the hammer would only go back about 3/8 - 1/2 inch. Cylinder would turn. Loading gate opened/closed as normal. Simply could not get the hammer to cock, etc.

From what I read, the only real solution was to go inside the revolver and see what was wrong. Had removed the cylinder, etc. As I handled the frame, I thought I heard "something." Took a plastic handled screw driver and tapped the frame while listening for that "something" sound. Low and behold ... a little bit of metal fell out of the frame. It is maybe 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch is size. It looks like a part that was drilled for some sort of pin. IThe drilled portion is broken on both sides by a stress crack (???). Oddly, the revolver now functions perfectly.

I have put it down for the evening as I have got to get some things done before bedtime. Hope to have time tomorrow where I can again see what is going on.

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be the problem? None of the Youtube videos address this issue. Any thoughts or suggestions anyone might want to offer would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely. bruce.
gunman42782

Re: Need Help 2.0

Post by gunman42782 »

A picture of the broken part would be a help.
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member