Ruger Flattop serial number 186, 1 of 3

Includes all Pre-1973 Old model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Super Bearcats, Hawkeye
and Black Powder Old Army.
marty

Ruger Flattop serial number 186, 1 of 3

Post by marty »

I’m new to the Ruger Society, I’m a gun collector but not a collector of Rugers. I’m brought here through an interesting purchase that I just recently made at an Estate Sale and I figured if there’s anybody that knows something about this pistol, he’s surely a member of the Ruger Society. The pistol is a Ruger Flattop serial number 186 which appears to have never been fired except at the factory. It’s in superb condition with virtually no handling marks and I would rate it at 99%. It’s chambered in .44 Magnum, has a 6-1/2” barrel, a pair of original Ruger ivory grips with Ruger black falcon emblems, and the pistol is fully engraved. The engraving was well executed and signed by Grover T. Polsgrove. The pistol came with no box or accouterments. Any information that you members are willing to share will be much appreciated. Thanks, Marty
Attachments
IMG_1547.jpg
IMG_1547.jpg (23.89 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
IMG_1540.jpg
IMG_1540.jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
IMG_1568.jpg
IMG_1568.jpg (30.65 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
Doc4429

Re: Ruger Flattop serial number 186, 1 of 3

Post by Doc4429 »

Can't help much, but I checked Gun Engraving Review by E. C. Prudhomme and Grover Polsgrove is listed as having performed his engraving in Georgetown, KY. Prudhomme's book was copyrighted in 1961, so most, if not all of the engravers listed are deceased. The serial number of your Blackhawk 44 Magnum is in a sequence of revolvers that were shipped in November 1956, the first month of shipping for this model (serial numbers 185 and 187 were shipped in November 1956). However, Ruger did not ship in serial number order, so your revolver could have been shipped one or several months later. You can obtain a letter of authenticity for your Ruger by accessing the Ruger website. I think the cost is still $10. The letter will tell you when (month/year) and where your 44 Magnum was shipped.

You may be able to find out more about Grover Polsgrove by contacting the Firearms Engravers Guild of America at fega.com

Ruger factory ivory grips are highly sought after by collectors and valued at $2500 or more.

You have a great looking engraved Ruger Blackhawk 44 Magnum. One to be proud of.

A question...It may be the lighting, but the engraving appears to have been cut through the blued finish on the revolver. If this is the case, it is somewhat unusual as most guns are refinished after the engraving is completed.

Bill
marty

Post by marty »

Bill,

Thank you for your response which is much appreciated. Yes I believe the engraving is cut through the bluing but I don't have it here to further examine. I've never seen engraving cut through the blueing before in any case I will further examine. I found a little information on the engraver but need to spend some more time researching. Further, I also have a request into the the Ruger Historian for any and all info that might be helpful.

Again thank you,
Marty
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Engravers actually prefer to have the bluing done before they cut the engraving... easier to see the work as it is being cut.
Then the guns are reblued.
Chet15
Doc4429

Post by Doc4429 »

I have several S&W 44 Magnums that are engraved and inlaid with gold by Alvin White. These guns letter as having been shipped "in the white" for engraving. See copy of invoice below and 44 Magnum as engraved by Alvin White.

Bill

flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Oh my, both of these pictured guns are mighty fine. Beatiful.
FT44
marty

Post by marty »

Bill,

Again thank you for the additional information concerning Flattop 186.

Marty
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

DOC4429, great to see you posting on the ROCS forum. What an outstanding engraved 29 and you have the invoice to prove the work! Showing this fine S&W really helps understand the timeline of Ruger and S&W during the early years. You have an outstanding .44 Bill. My compliments to you. Brass Frame/Lee E
Doc4429

Post by Doc4429 »

Thanks Lee. Walter Sanborn was the Sales Manager for S&W and took the 44 Magnum to Rex Firearms in NYC who had it engraved by Alvin White. The magnum would have then been returned to S&W probably for some type of display, but that is a guess on my part. Nonetheless, it is one of the finest engraved guns in my collection. The carved stocks made of Brazilian rosewood inlaid with scrimshawed ivory diamonds were also done by Mr. White.

Bill
marty

Post by marty »

Bill,

You noted in your first posting regarding subject serial number 186, that 185 and 187 were shipped in November of 1956 which happened to be the first Ruger shipping that included .44 Mag. guns. I just received an answer from the Ruger Historian that subject 186 didn't ship until December 1956, together with 4 other .44 Mag. guns. I couldn't get the Historian/Ruger to answer my question "did the engraver Grover T. Polsgrove ever work for Ruger either as a subcontractor or an employee". I will further delve into the history of Grover T. Polsgrove through family members. That's my update. Marty