Bisley Single Seven model 8168

Includes all Post 1973 New Model Single-Sixes, Blackhawks,
Super Blackhawks, Bearcats, Maximums, Bisleys, Vaqueros,
and New Vaqueros.
Ruger8r

Bisley Single Seven model 8168

Post by Ruger8r »

If you subscribe to the Red Eagle News Exchange you might have seen this gun listed on Gunbroker and recognized it as one of only TWELVE examples made because Chad listed all 12 serial numbers in Vol. 40 #1. Strangely, it was listed in the Single Six section at nearly double the MSRP and I was the only bidder. Though the box is not correct and it has been fired, I thought it was a fair price.
It is such a handsome piece and so rare that I was too excited to notice the kicker. I kept thinking it looked different but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I realized: It is missing the barrel rollmark!!! Nope, not under the ERH. So, it is clearly a factory mistake and probably my unicorn. However, if there's one...?
When I got it, the action was very stiff and the cylinder rotation was rough. Close inspection revealed that the cylinder ratchet had major machine burrs all over it which were dragging on the frame and the pawl, which also had burrs. Cleaned that up and lubed the action and it's quite smooth now.
This is my first Bisley and a lucky find. Here are some photos:
pix291671260.jpg
pix758398446.jpg
pix033385502.jpg
pix670457890.jpg
pix904834557.jpg
Last edited by Ruger8r on Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
flattop44

Re: Single Seven model 8168

Post by flattop44 »

Way to go, that is a great score!! Well done!
FT44
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Super rare gun!!
Chet15
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

Great snag !
1st one I've seen a picture of also. Good for you !
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Friggin' awesome !!!
Good for you :D

Cheers,
JaydaWg
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Ruger8r

Re: Bisley Single Seven model 8168

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks for your comments, gentlemen.
I'm still a little giddy over this one. Can't believe it fell in my lap and I didn't notice its uniqueness until later.
The previous owner polished the cylinder face to remove powder residue but some spots remained on the frame. So, since it has been fired, now I have to decide whether to shoot it or not. I feel like careful handling at the range to put a few down range won't make any difference. Ammo is plentiful and relatively cheap right now so I got some. Should I shoot this one-of-one baby?
Owen
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Shoot it, shoot it, shoot it!!!! 8-)

Jay
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

That is a thing of beauty! You have a great revolver there.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks, Terry. I'm sure proud to own it.
I wonder if there have been other single-action revolvers shipped without the barrel roll mark. I don't recall seeing anything in RENE but I haven't read everything.
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

There was a block of no more than 14 NM/FT .41 Magnum revolvers (S416N) made with out warning roll mark's.
They also had the wrong serial number prefix of 87 vs correct one of 48, they were consecutive also.
I also have a NM/FT (S416N) #87-79778, which has the WRM hidden under the EJRH. It also has the wrong prefix of #87 vs #48.
Tough nuts to find for NM/FT collectors.
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man