1st Brochure for the Ruger No.1??

No. 1 and No. 3
ElNumeroUno

1st Brochure for the Ruger No.1??

Post by ElNumeroUno »

The first advertisement for the Ruger No.1 ended with the comment: Our comprehensive brochure awaits your inquiry.
I have always wondered what you got if you wrote in for this "comprehensive brochure"? The document below appears to be it. Note the last part-How to Order. Sorry, still working on the page! Left click on the pic first; then on my computer, if I right click on pic, and the click on "view image", it comes up full page! Any help appreciated!
CLN
Ruger No. 1_low.jpg
Ruger No. 1_low.jpg (363.28 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
Brass Frame

Re: 1st Brochure for the Ruger No.1??

Post by Brass Frame »

Lee, I also see that the first rifle pictured with 26" barrel and sights has a hooded front sight. That hooded front sight looks exactly like the hood on my No.1 AHS in 30-06, serial numbered in the early 3XXX! Is this proof that hoods were available and that mine is a factory hood? Brass Frame/Lee E
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

Lee,
You must have been able to see the whole page by doing all the "clicking" to see the hood. I would seriously doubt your AHS is a correct Factory hood. Terry or I could tell if we could see it. Joe Clayton says, per Steve Vogel, that there were only 3 hoods made. Many of the Factory pics show them on rifles, two No.1's and the M77. Both No.1's are prototypes. The one pictured on this brochure is actually a .458WM with a 24" barrel. The other Prototype is the 22" barrel in 22-250, number X-3, which is pictured in the 1st ad and in the 1967 catalog. The 458 is also pictured in the 1967 catalog. I can account for the 3 hoods; Terry and I both have a rifle with a hood, both from the John Amber collection.Terry's is the M77 rifle, #9. Mine is a AHS .308 serial#110. This rifle was shipped to Amber the 1st week of No.1 shipping(April 1967) and is written up in the 1968 Gun Digest. One picture shows Amber shooting it, and it has the hood.The other one known to be correct is on a BHS 30/06 in the Cody Museum. I have copies of all the original correspondence between the owner and Steve Vogel on this rifle. Both Terry and I have seen the rifle at Cody and it is the correct hood.
CLN
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

I clicked and clicked some more but could not get the full page. :(