Ruger 77 Hawkeye Varmint Model

Includes .44 & 10/22 Carbines; Mini-14, 30 & 6.8; Model 96 & 99/44 Deerfields; M77s; PC 4s & 9s; AC-556; MP9; XGI.
gunman42782

Ruger 77 Hawkeye Varmint Model

Post by gunman42782 »

Never understood why Ruger changed the name of the 77 MK2 to the Hawkeye, but oh well. I owned one of these several years ago and had to sell it after I got divorced. It was an absolute tack driver and I have always wanted another one. Well, I just got this one. Haven't had the chance to see if this one is as sweet as the one I used to own. This is the heavy barreled varmint model in .308
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
flattop44

Re: Ruger 77 Hawkeye Varmint Model

Post by flattop44 »

Good looking set up, let us know how it shoots.
FT44
chet15

Re: Ruger 77 Hawkeye Varmint Model

Post by chet15 »

gunman42782 wrote:Never understood why Ruger changed the name of the 77 MK2 to the Hawkeye, but oh well.
Just saw this, but earlier posted a reply to the question on Rugerforum.com....kind of interesting.

"That's an interesting question. I have a copy of a letter here from early 2006 that I sent to the powers to be at Ruger (Steve Sanetti) asking about the 50th Anniversary of the Hawkeye Pistol that was coming up in a few years at the time and of course gave the spiel as to why I thought an anniversary Hawkeye pistol would probably sell like gangbusters....it seemed everybody and anybody knew what the 1963/1964 Hawkeye was and that just from the sheer nostalgic thought of it, would probably sell by the trainload, especially since prices of original Hawkeye pistols were at least 20 times the price of the original $87.50 price tag. Everybody wants a Hawkeye, just not everybody is willing to part with $2K to get an original specimen.
Then, after the 50th Anniversary was over (2014/2015), Ruger could continue the series by offering the gun in different chamberings....yes, with cartridge lengths at least as long as the .357 Maximum...Ruger did this very thing in the early 1980's on an original Hawkeye frame in .357 Maximum!
Lo and behold, never did get a reply to my letter, but a few months later Ruger introduced the Ruger Hawkeye bolt action rifle. I like to think I stirred the idea of the name "Hawkeye" for them at the time, but probably not."
Chet15