Ruger # 1 .45-70 Early Serial # Question

No. 1 and No. 3
mrm5868

Ruger # 1 .45-70 Early Serial # Question

Post by mrm5868 »

Hi....I am new to this forum, but have been a hunter, shooter and collection for over 50 years. I have a few Rugers, but have had no experience with Ruger #1's. My brother recently passed away and have been helping liquidate or buy items from his eclectic collection. One of the items I found was a just about new Ruger #1 in .45-70 with what appears to be a heavy barrel and scope blocks; (no rings) which appear original. It weighs almost 10 pounds and has the serial # 555 on the receiver and etched into the breech block. I cannot find any reference to this gun in the usual reference books and I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this possible special order and value. It has to be one of the first ones made. No idea where my brother got this from or even that he had it.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Rick McCarthy
ElNumeroUno

Re: Ruger # 1 .45-70 Early Serial # Question

Post by ElNumeroUno »

Rick,
It is not sounding like any of the regular configurations. Could it be a Lyman Centennial, #555 of 1000?
could you email me some pics.
cleenewton at yahoo.com
or call me at 817-366-2900
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Oooooh! Sounds like a great rifle!
Chet15
mrm5868

Post by mrm5868 »

Hi.....thanks for your replies and sorry for late response. It does not appear to be a commemorative or anything special; except a low number.

I have taken a few pics, but see nothing special. In have tried to attach them, but they are too big for this forum....If any of you can provide an email address, I can send the pics directly.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Rick
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

Rick,
My email address is in the 1st reply.
CLN
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

open the pictures with picture manager software and resize them for posting or possibly Lee can post them when he gets them...would like to see what it is
OldRugerMan

Post by OldRugerMan »

Rick, After looking at the pictures (thanks for them BTW) I would say you have a First Year rifle with a very cool number - 555. It has been rebarreled as I haven't seen any others with that roll mark for the caliber. It was done a long time ago evidenced by the Unertl blocks that were installed to mount the scope. I don't think it was done at the factory but a very neat rifle just the same. I wonder what caliber it was originally.
Randy