Factory Gift guns

Questions about the Ruger Collectors and Owners Society Inc.
Charlie1022

Factory Gift guns

Post by Charlie1022 »

Ok we all know about famous people who have received a special gun made for them by the factory. My question is does anyone know of someone who displays their collection who has received a special gun made for them? Back in 1997 I received a special made laminated 10/22 for my collection for helping out at the the Ruger booth at the Grand American Trap Shoot. If you have or know someone who has received such a gift for their collection I am sure we would all like to hear the detail.
Charlie1022
Charlie1022
Charlie1022

Re: Factory Gift guns

Post by Charlie1022 »

Wow with 820 hits n this subject there must be some interest in this 10/22 made special for my collection even though it has been 20 years ago. I have displayed it around the country and have had a lot of fun showing it off at major shows and always receive great comments on it with its one of a kind laminated stock and jeweled bolt. It just gets frustrating when when guns owned by famous people are considered more important when it comes to collecting importance. Not everyone has the funds to buy guns owned by famous gun people. I would like to here your thoughts on this subject because I would really like to see more interest in the Ruger Owners and Collectors Society and see it grow and see more members show what they enjoy shooting and collecting. Maybe if the factory sees how we are promoting there products especially their new products they just might support us even more with products that support their new products as well as guns from the past. Maybe, just maybe they just might make a special gun for your collection.

Charlie1022
Charlie1022
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Charlie,

Why do collectors of anything pay more and seem to be happier doing it just to say "This was owned by.......". This seems to be the way it is with everything collectable. Why is a car collector willing to pay hundreds of thousands of $$$$ for a Cadilac owned by Elvis, and the exact same make, model, and year sits on a car lot for a fraction of the price. Why does a collector of baseball cards pay hundreds of a signed card when he alread had the same unsigned card? It's important to the collector to own something that was owned by a famious, or important person in their field of collecting.

It may be very important to some collectors of Rugers to own one owned by Bill Ruger, a factory exc., or famious person. But to another collector it doesn't mean that much. (There are thousands of the same gun available, in some cases.) All collectors are different in what they collect and what is important to them. But when they are looking at two one of a kind guns then that is where who owned it comes into play.

What you have is a gun made especially for you, unfortunitly you are not famious, YET! But your gun is! It is a "One of a Kind" there are no others, you have the only one. To a collector of 10/22's it is very important. He will never be able to get one like it, unless you sell. The story of how you received it is also very important to that gun.

There are several guns I would like to have in my collection. Most of these were made up especially for a special person. Most of them are one of a kind also. I don't want them because of the person that owned them, I want them because they are different, and to have something special in my collection. You have already achived that.

I don't know if I helped answer your question or confussed you more?

Vince
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Thanks Vince for your thoughts on this issue. I understand the collector point but try as I can it seams that I am about the only person who has kept displaying 10/22's over the years. There may be many other collectors out there but they do not display their collection for what ever the reason.

I know that this special gift made for my collection is very special and is not for sale. I understand that while I am not a famous person from the RUGER factory or the shooting sports but I have achieved something that no other collector has managed to achieve to date and that is to have the factory make a gun specifically for my collection and that is enough to make e proud of what I have done to help promote our hobby of collecting RUGER 10/22's as well as all RUGERS!

Not everyone has the funds too collect early guns and if we want to grow interest in our hobby it is my opinion that we need to get more people interested in collecting and displaying. If we look at the average age of those that display lately it seams that 65+ is the norm and we need new blood if we want to grow. I would like to hear from other collectors on how to grow our membership and interest. If you have ideas let us hear about them.

Charlie1022
Charlie1022
Big Old Boy

Post by Big Old Boy »

Charlie you are so right, I was hoping to make the Ohio show and I still may, you and I think alike. I believe I posted the same thing recently we are old farts and need to stir interest in young people without scaring them away. I believe anything Ruger is worthy to be a display I know at Huntsville next year my display will have nothing more than a few years old on the table and I hope it draws interest in the use and fun of Ruger firearms. Let's face the facts I love wood stocks a bright blue steel but gun manufacturers are looking to save money yet build strong reliable firearms and my next display will be plastic subdued and affordable. The only thing I hope to win is interest from those looking at and enjoying our displays.
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

I agree with both of you in the fact that we need new "YOUNG" members. I also agree that we need more displays of the newer guns Ruger produces, hopefully it would encourage new people. I personally have started a new collection of SR1911's for that reason.

I agree with you Charlie that most people can't afford early Rugers, not to mention that they are gettig very hard to find in collectable condition.But that also holds true for the new model guns, they to are expensive. Not to mention Ruger comes out with a new model or variation every other week. Would you believe there are now over 24 models of the SR1911! So as I see it "collecting" is an expensive hobby, new model or old.

Getting back to the judging, it was our (ROCS) intention to have different catagories, "old model", "new model", "rifles" "shotguns", "pistol", "revolver","youth". This would even out the playing field.IMO But this can not be done when you have only 20 displayers, 10 of which are masters. We would have to double the number before it could be reconsidered.

The way things are scored is based on the NRA guide lines. They do it the same way at their shows, and believe me they favor the older items. I seen a 70 year old can of gun oil win over firearms. To my knowledge there were only two Rugers that ever won a silver metal.

The BOD is alway open to suggestions on how to increase our membership and ways to yet more displayers. So if yo have any ideas I would be happy to present them.

Vince
radicalrod

Post by radicalrod »

Hey Charlie, don't complain it doesn't help.....I know how you feel....

I don't own a single gun that has ever won best of show...... and probably never will.....

I have been lucky enough to win a few shows with my beaters so I hope it doesn't sound like I am complaining......

I don't have an answer for how to get the younger crowd interested either.....RR