ROCS Shows and Displays

Questions about the Ruger Collectors and Owners Society Inc.
RoninPA

Re: ROCS Shows and Displays

Post by RoninPA »

Feedback has slowed down a bit, I guess most are happy with the "status quo". I do have another question:

What do you think about each displayer getting a ROCS challenge coin or a ROCS Medal that has the show name and date on the reverse?

You could then buy or build a coin/medal display stand to show them off. These coins/medals would be the same for all shows throughout the US with the difference being the show name and date on the back. Or we could do the ROCS emblem on the front and "Ruger Owners and Collectors Society" ringing the back with the show name and date inside that. That way you could show the front or the back if you wanted to display it (or them after a few shows). Buying in bulk can really bring the cost down and they can be pretty nice. I suggest this as I do have a lot of challenge coins from my years in the military and they do make a nice memento but are not so big to be just a dust gatherer.

Let me know your thoughts.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Ronnie,
We are looking into several options on things to do for our displayers, coins and/or medals are one of them, and a good idea.
The coins or medals both require a set up charge that can be expensive. You are right buying in bulk would lower our cost but you can't buy bulk when you have to have different show names and dates on them, also considering we only have 15 to 20 displayers (Less in Huntsville) that doesn't qualify as bulk.
If you have a company in mind that can do this please feel free to check them out on actual coast and details and let me know, I will be happy to look into it further.
Keep in mind that we have to generate money for this as well as being able to provide prizes to the winning displayers, and for other show expenses.
The money we raise for show prizes comes from our Raffles, auctions and the donation we receive. That is why we are always asking members to donate any item(s) they can, it all goes to support the show(s) and fund the guns and other prize items we give out.

I encourage all member to think of ways we can improve our shows and our club. You can put your suggestion here on the forum or e-mail me directly. I welcome all suggestions.

O M CRAZY
Vince
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Vince,
What I was suggesting was to get coins or medals that are the same front and back with a blank place on the back where name of the show and the date(s) are engraved or stamped in (under the direction of the coordinator(s) of the show(s)). That way there is just one set up fee and all the coins/medals look exactly alike other than the info on the back. I would think that in any town that is having a show that there would be an engraver that could do this work or maybe even a ROCS member that does this that might volunteer to do this work. The show coordinator would know how many are needed and ROCS can ship them what is needed plus a few extras for just in case or to give out to VIP's etc.

If you PM me your email, I can forward several places that I have already contacted to get estimates, that way you're not starting from the beginning. Both places the set up fee doesn't seem unreasonable. One place the quote for 200 2.5" silver colored medals with our artwork was $1300 including the set up fee. The other was 100-299 2" coins for $6.15 each with a one time set up fee of $240.

There are probably other places that I just haven't thought of (or googled) yet.

If I can help in any other way, just let me know.

Ron
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

Ron,
I like the idea of the challenge coin with a place on one side to note it's use. I checked a few years ago at NRA with one of the vendors(they were right beside the Ruger booth) and will look again next week in Atlanta. When I get back, send me the contacts you have. i'll PM you my email.
Lee
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Ron ....PM sent.

O M CRAZY
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

How about an area on the face to engrave the date of the show? his would make it better to display them if on the front of a coin/medallion? Then if done on the stock of a long gun like a special run of 10/22's the date would be entered and then if another run is issued it would be easy to identify which issue it was from.

Charlie1022
Charlie1022