Antelope meets a Ruger

Different hunts, your guns, etc.
Robb Barnes

Antelope meets a Ruger

Post by Robb Barnes »

This is the little buck antelope I got this year with my 414 Supermag. I had Alan Harton build the gun several years ago in anticipation of drawing this tag some day. It is a 357 maximum frame that has been converted to a long cylinder 5 shot bisley with a 7 1'2: octagon barrel. I wanted to use a Freedom Arms Lovell scope mount so I had Alan weld up the entire top strap and re-machine it to match the FA I sent him to use as a pattern. He did an amazing job. When I went hunting I had 3 criteria I wanted to meet when I shot a speed goat. #1, I wanted my wife to be present at the time, #2 I wanted to get close enough to use the revolver and #3, I wanted to use the shooting sticks my daughter gave me for my birthday earlier in the summer. I passed up bucks each of the first couple of days because at least one of those criteria were not able to be met but on the third day, it all worked out and we got this little guy. The best part was my wife being there for the entire hunt and even helping hold a leg as I skinned and dressed the animal.
flattop44

Re: Antelope meets a Ruger

Post by flattop44 »

Nice little Buck, I bet he was real tasty too! Let's see a pic or two of that Superman Alan built for you.
FT44
Robb Barnes

Post by Robb Barnes »

Here are a few pictures of the 414 Bill. Like I am sure you already know, the Supermag series of cartridges were all tied back to the 357 Supermag/Ruger Maximum with cases .30 inches longer than the normal magnum case. The 357, 414 and 445 were all just stretch versions of the normal parent mag case and thus straight walled while the 375 Supermag was based on a slightly tapered case if I remember correctly. I am kind of a 41 nut so when I decided to have a Supermag custom made I decided to go with the 414. Since it was going to be a long custom cylinder I had Alan make it a 5 shot for maximum cylinder strength. The FA replication of the top strap was just for the Freedom Arms scope mount. Here are a few pictures of the gun.
As you can see there is lots of steel between those chambers. I have not even come close to what this gun will do as far as load development goes. I know, it is terrible to take a perfectly good Maximum and do that to it but not to worry, the 357 max cylinder was put to good use as well in a long cylindered 45 Colt bisley vaquero with adjustable sights. :D
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

Robb,
Welcome;this group is about owning, shooting, collecting and hunting with Rugers. You certainly qualify on 3/4! A beautiful Ruger you have there and a nice antelope. How long was the shot on the antelope?
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

Hello Rob. As Editor of the ROCS Digest, I have considering articles about custom Rugers. Would you be willing to write about your custom revolver and send to me along with some pictures? Articles like this make for great reading and give the custom gunsmiths the work they deserve! Thanks for your post and happy Thanksgiving. Brass Frame/Lee E.