Drawn for the Chaparral WMA

Different hunts, your guns, etc.
ElNumeroUno

Drawn for the Chaparral WMA

Post by ElNumeroUno »

My 20th year of applying for this hunt; notified today of being selected for the 1st Gun Hunt; 12/15-19. About perfect timing if the weather turns right. Not management, spike, or doe. It's for the biggest buck I can find. this is 15,000 acres in South Texas, between Cotulla and Carrizo Springs.
Now, which No.1 am I going to take?? Sure wish I could get my hands on one of the new 257 Weatherbys.
CLN
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
OldRugerMan

Re: Drawn for the Chaparral WMA

Post by OldRugerMan »

Lee, I gave up a long time ago trying to draw a big buck hunt. Congrats to you for sticking it out for 20 years! I'm sure pics will be forthcoming. This was the last decent buck I got back in 1978. Gun is 1-S 7 Mag sn 130-00900. Randy

Randy
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

One really nice buck and a really, really nice rifle-but who is that kid??
El Numero Uno
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

I've been putting in for the draw hunts every year since the mid '80s, Chaparral certainly has a reputation for good bucks. Went on many of these hunts in other places, some with great results, others not so much. Maybe someday I'll get drawn for a mule deer hunt if I keep entering every year.
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

You can't get drawn if you don't put in! That's why I keep trying. Now if I could just score on the Desert Bighorn or the Grand Slam Hunt, it would be better than winning the Lottery.
El Numero Uno
Ruger1nut

Post by Ruger1nut »

Randy great picture. Love the hat.

Lee I am sure you will come up with one. Good luck and be sure to do a write up for the digest. The 20 year Buck!!!

Dave
ElNumeroUno

Post by ElNumeroUno »

My "once in a Lifetime" hunt on the Chaparral ended up with no shots taken. A wonderful area and lots of big South Texas bucks, but just not where I was! There have been some Warthogs shot this year; apparently slipped under the fence from a neighboring ranch.
El Numero Uno
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

We've all been skunked before on the TPWD hunts, but you got that nice mulie as I saw this year. Have you been putting in for the exotic hunts on Mason Mountain WMA? I killed a nice buck there several years ago, it was WT only, but we saw lots of exotics that they have separate categories for. TPWD threatened us with just short of jail if we shot something other than a WT during the orientation, was fun, quality hunt for little $$.