New Member with Camp Meat

Different hunts, your guns, etc.
Rugerologist

New Member with Camp Meat

Post by Rugerologist »

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member here and wanted to introduce myself. My friends call me Chuck. A passion of mine is anything and everything Sturm Ruger related. I collect many things, but Rugers have always caught my eye. I was raised around firearms, always hunted, U.S. Army Airborne Infantry veteran, NRA member etc. I look forward to sharing some of my collection over time and continuing to learn from all of you.

Attached you will find a picture of a small 7pt. buck killed on 11/14/15 in Arkansas with my Ruger M77/44 Talo. My intention on this morning was not necessarily to shoot a deer but to scout out about a 1/2mi. creek bed for hog destruction and deer sign. I was willing to take swine or venison home, but the hogs can be a real nuisance and are always a high priority. I was late leaving the house and it was well into the morning before I stepped out of my jeep. By that time, I figured that I wouldn't see a thing. The thickets around this creek can be very dense and I opted to carry this rifle on its first hunt. I purchased it last year with this very purpose in mind and plan to keep optics away from this one. The creek was low and the leaves on either side very dry and thick so I slowly stalked down through the middle of the water. After about 45 minutes easing downstream I began to hear this guy. He was making more noise than any other deer I've ever heard in the woods. In fact, I believe I heard him a full 5 min before I got a visual. Suddenly, he just bolted almost straight toward me then hooked left and stopped in the middle of the creek about 40 yards downstream from where I stood. It was a perfect broadside shot and I didn't question it.

It's always good to be in the woods, spend time with my father, carry a Ruger on its first hunt, and bring camp meat back to the cabin and home to the family.

Thanks for having me!

Kind Regards
Attachments
M77 7pt.jpg
Last edited by Rugerologist on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
ElNumeroUno

Re: New Member with Camp Meat

Post by ElNumeroUno »

Welcome and thanks for posting a pic! I can't see the rear sight on that M77/44. what am I missing?
El Numero Uno
Serious Collector of Early & Rare Ruger No.1 Rifles
www.classicsportingarms.com
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

ElNumeroUno wrote:Welcome and thanks for posting a pic! I can't see the rear sight on that M77/44. what am I missing?
Thanks for the welcome! The rear adjustable leaf sight is mounted to the barrel about 2" away from the receiver and forward most integral scope base. It is hard to make out in the picture because of the strap.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

Very nice! That rifle will dispatch wild hogs quite well. A friend's nephew uses a .44 Ruger Auto to kill them in Florida. He is a State Agriculture Inspector & carries it on duty. It's also put a few 'gators out of their misery too!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...