Little Help with Old Model Blackhawk

mofire

Little Help with Old Model Blackhawk

Post by mofire »

Okay. Started collecting Old Models a few years ago and still learning. Here's an Old Model marked Ruger 357 Blackhawk. Serial Number 428XX which puts in 1962. Barrel and cylinder all check out to the 357. However, if you look at the frame, it appears to me that this is a Super Blackhawk frame. Plus the hammer is larger. Whats the possibility that the original frame was swapped out?
Attachments
DSC_0022.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG
DSC_0019.JPG
flattop44

Re: Little Help with Old Model Blackhawk

Post by flattop44 »

It looks like someone swapped grip frames and hammers. You have a medium size Blackhawk cylinder frame with a Super Blackhawk grip frame and Super BH wide spur hammer. Trigger looks to be original Blackhawk.
FT44
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

That does appear to be an Super Blackhawk frame, my guess is a previous owner swapped out the frame. Still a very nice SA, congrats on the addition.
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
chet15

Post by chet15 »

I can't tell from the photos...does the grip frame have a narrow or wide trigger slot?
Chet15
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

More than likely the frame and hammer were add to the gun by a previous owner. But I have heard of a .357 that lettered as being shipped in that configuration. You need to invest $10.00 and write the factory. You can get a form and address off the Ruger web site.

O M CRAZY