Factory Letters

d findley

Factory Letters

Post by d findley »

Is there nothing we can do about these letters? I bought this revolver from a Factory employee over 20 years ago. His subscription number was 100. I feel like the Records Dept. knows who this gun was shipped to and when. The guy has been dead for 10 years or more.
Attachments
1ai.jpg
1ai - Copy.jpg
1ai - Copy.jpg (160.97 KiB) Viewed 10193 times
Coogs

Re: Factory Letters

Post by Coogs »

If Ruger would get their do-do together and create a letter like Colt or Winchester, I, along with a great more people would be willing to Pay for such an Animal..............they know A LOT MORE about individual firearms than what they are willing to let you know......
Doc4429

Post by Doc4429 »

Some S&Ws are "open on the books" and do not have a shipping date or location. Prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, some executives gave guns to gun writers, celebrities, or a friend without doing any paperwork, resulting in "open on the books". Is it possible, the factory employee just took the gun home without the paperwork being done? It is also possible the invoice was lost over time, and while this doesn't happen often, it can happen. This would also result in a letter with no shipping date or location.

I am not trying to make excuses for Ruger Records, but sometimes the records just aren't there.

Bill
ruger
Site Admin

Post by ruger »

There serial lists are years behind on-line too :geek:
d findley

Post by d findley »

In the "old days" Ruger issued decent letters. If you already knew who owned a certain Ruger and asked they would issue a letter stating that fact. Dates for manufacture and shipping were available. A few individuals would send for information on a whole page (or more) serial numbers. They didn't own these guns but were trying to pin-point dates changes or variations took place. An employee told me a lady in records might spend the better part of a week on one person's questions. Ruger shut it down!!! We (collectors) have tried everything (money, bribes, etc.) to get "good" letters" but to no avail.
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

As Don said, there was a time you could get some information confirmed if you knew who owned the firearm. But then the legal department stepped in and all of that came to a stop.

I don't understand how it hurts anyone to state that a firearm was owned by a person that has been dead for over 10 years.
And yes us collectors would be willing to pay more for a letter that gave the information we are looking for. IMO

O M CRAZY
aka Vince
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

All my Ruger letters (except one) have been researched and written by myself. ;) More complete and better detail that way!

Seriously, in my experience, supporting payroll for a few historians with full access to every production and shipping record for multiple plants, and sending data to unknown curious people worldwide...

As a former machined-products company owner, that department would be the first to go!
And these days ITAR regs might even be in play. Don't want to play in that sandbox.
:o It is a Right, NOT a permit.
Political Correctness = Political Submission :oops:
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

The factory letters have really improved in the last few months. They tell you where the gun was shipped and if you give them a name to verify and it is who it went to, they will validate it in the letter. The best letters we ever gotten. And cheap at $10. JMHO.
Bill
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

flattop44 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:48 pm The factory letters have really improved in the last few months. They tell you where the gun was shipped and if you give them a name to verify and it is who it went to, they will validate it in the letter. The best letters we ever gotten. And cheap at $10. JMHO.
Bill
Bill the letter that goes with your Armamex .22 pistol is probably the best one you have ever gotten. The provenance is colorful to say the least!
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

Yessir. that one is special and unique.
FT44