Box question

RoninPA

Box question

Post by RoninPA »

I was answering a Ruger box question on the Rugerforum.com and that got me thinking (OH NO, watch out :shock: ).

Has there been a comprehensive synopsis done on the dates that certain boxes were used by Ruger? If so, where might that info be? RCA?, RENE?

I know (I think) that for the Six series boxes it went:

White one piece folding top with gun cutout inside
Red/White one piece folding box
Red/Black one piece folding box
Yellow(Light Orange)/Black one piece folding box

What I don't know is what period (years) each were used.

Although I am interested in the Six series guns, having a "history" of all the different boxes Ruger used and when they used them would be interesting (at least to me and maybe a few others).

Thoughts/comments?
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
T.A. Workman

Re: Box question

Post by T.A. Workman »

Ron,
Get out your large copy of Chads reference and go through each model. Chad has "box notes"in there,
Terry
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
RoninPA

Re: Box question

Post by RoninPA »

Terry,
Here's what Chad had to say:

"There are a few DA collectors that can probably collaborate on some dates....some of it is kind of a gray area for the SIX series.
Serial numbers can be used for general dates...but ship dates are best to determine which type for when."

So, I guess, you, me, Terry T, and maybe Mike Hittman and any others I might think of may need to work on this. I'll use Chads Reference to glean as much info as I can and then make a post that we can add/change/delete to if/when needed.

Thanks for the reply
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron