Old model Blackhawk grip frame.

BigTer

Old model Blackhawk grip frame.

Post by BigTer »

I have an old model Blackhawk four digit serial number in 41mag.I recently decided to strip it down to do a detailed cleaning. The rear grip frame screws didn't want to come out but eventually did. But while removing them I did some minor damage to the screw holes in the frame with my screwdriver. So I found a replacement grip frame on GunBroker and bought it. It is the same XR3-Red as the original. But I noticed that the original finish looks like blued steel the other looks to be painted. I know they are aluminum. So I guess my question is one correct and the other not for the value of the revolver. Seeing that it is in excellent condition. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.Thankyou.
rugerguy

Re: Old model Blackhawk grip frame.

Post by rugerguy »

there are a few different "finishes" on the various frames over the years ,let alone what many of us have done to "refinish" them ourselves, coatings, paint, alumhyde, and reanodizing all come to mind....just what is wrong with the screw holes?? often this can be 'tlc' d ,,, touch up the 'white' with Aluminum black from Birchwood Casey, yes even a black 'permanent marker covers the 'white' ( bare metal around the screw hole..better than swapping out a frame that is "not quite right".....best to keep it as original as possible 8-) :roll: ;)