.44 Mag: Redhawk vs. S&W 29/629?

JohnnyAuto

.44 Mag: Redhawk vs. S&W 29/629?

Post by JohnnyAuto »

Hello everyone,

I find myself suddenly in the market for a 5.5" or 6" barrel .44 Mag double-action revolver.

I checked out GB for the S&Ws and found that I dislike the idea of the newer ones having the internal safety device and the injection molded triggers and hammers. The Model 629 through 629-4 are not that easy to find, and are up there in price when one is found.

And then I thought about Ruger. I know they are investment cast and are stronger than a dump truck - at least, they used to be. The Redhawks are considerably cheaper - er, "less expensive" - than the Smiths. What gives? Is there anything I should know with regard to quality/performance issues with certain serial number ranges? Anything in particular I should avoid like the plague?

By the way, to finance this revolver I'm thinking about possibly parting with a stainless Ruger 22/45 5.5" heavy barrel, and perhaps a Marlin .44 Mag lever carbine.

Thanks!

John
gunman42782

Re: .44 Mag: Redhawk vs. S&W 29/629?

Post by gunman42782 »

The Redhawk and Super Redhawk are as strong a revolver ever made. And, for the longest time, I refused to buy a Smith with the hole in the side and MIM parts. BUT, I have owned several Redhawks over the years. I could never, ever find a grip that fit my hand. And the Super Redhawk was just too big, and looks funny to me, and is pretty much a hunting revolver. So, like you, I didn't want to spend a fortune on a older Smith, so I broke down and bought a 4 inch 629 brand new. First thing I did was plug the hole, and buy Hogue grips, as the rubber grip that ships with it sucks. Then I installed a Wilson spring kit. I kid you not, it is the best, smoothest, and most accurate Smith and Wesson I have ever owned, and I have owned a bunch of them over the years. Not trying to discourage anyone from buying a Ruger, I am a Ruger guy through and through. But when it comes to a .44 Mag DA revolver, I got to give the nod to Smith. Now, if I was using it strictly for hunting, the Super would get the nod. I have asked Ruger for years to make a Redhawk with the Super Redhawks internals and grip stud, and they finally came out with the miss-named Super GP100 in .357, but I don't want or need a race gun, I just wanted a regular looking revolver in .44 Mag.
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

The GP100 is another option to look atand can be found chambered in .44 Mag.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
gunman42782

Post by gunman42782 »

67stingray wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:04 pm The GP100 is another option to look atand can be found chambered in .44 Mag.
Bennett
Never seen a GP100 in .44 Mag. They do make a 5 shot .44 Special
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

My mistake you are correct .44 Special.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

JohnnyAuto wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:38 am Is there anything I should know with regard to quality/performance issues with certain serial number ranges? Anything in particular I should avoid like the plague?
John
NO.....the Ruger Redhawk is the most reliable DA 44 mag available, built like a brick sh** house, and my 5 1/2 in barrel shoots better than I can!
She don't look funny to me.....just puuurdy!
Now I'm talking like WT :lol: :lol: :lol:
Buy one.
Cheers,
JAY
Attachments
REDHAWK.jpg
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

JAYDAWG you are gonna scare JohnnyAuto off! That's "Purty"... Next thing you know you will be telling me you hunt Geoducks with that Redhawk... And YES... Your Redhawk is beautiful with those grips... Now you need a Tyler T-Grip to really kick it up a notch...
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
T.A. Workman

Post by T.A. Workman »

"Smith & Wesson's are Thoroughbreds,,Rugers are Clydesdale's"
John Taffin
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

T.A. Workman wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:41 am "Smith & Wesson's are Thoroughbreds,,Rugers are Clydesdale's"
John Taffin
Amen brother Terry!
It's no wonder why I like Mr. Taffin and his writings..... ;)

Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker