XR 3 Grip Frame

JAYDAWG

XR 3 Grip Frame

Post by JAYDAWG »

Does anyone know of any aftermarket XR 3 Grip Frames A guy could buy?
I would really like a Brass one, but would also get Black.....

Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
JAYDAWG

Re: XR 3 Grip Frame

Post by JAYDAWG »

So...there are no XR3 grip frames made by any aftermarket company!??!? :?
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

i've not been everywhere - but I've never seen any I can recall. :?:
:o It is a Right, NOT a permit.
Political Correctness = Political Submission :oops:
Doc4429

Post by Doc4429 »

I have not seen any after market XR-3 grip frames for sale, but I have seen some original ones for sale on the Ruger Forum from time to time.

Bill
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

I very much appreciate the replies, looks like I just need to keep looking for an original......or two!!

Cheers,
JAY
SteveRuger

Post by SteveRuger »

Did I miss something?
I have not seen or heard that can be verified of a 'Factory Brass Frame' in a XR3 or XR3RED.
There are some that someone had made to look like the Standard XR3 or XR3RED grips a few months back some one posted picture of a few custom built grip if my old mind remembers correctly. On RugerForum.com I believe.
But again with Ruger you never say never. Back in the 80's there seemed to be a few but they had fit-up issues. They were after market Brass Grips.
IMHO
Steve
GUN COLLECTORS.......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

If you are looking for a solid brass grip frame, made by Ruger, to fit like an XR3 frame, I believe that you are out of luck. I do own an XR3 and an XR3-RED frame that are aluminum and were made with a brass or gold color. They were never put into regular production and my belief is that a supplier to Ruger made a couple of each, but they were rejected by the factory. One is new and never fit to a gun and the other came on an early .44 Flat Top. I have several of the factory produced, Dragoon style, solid brass frames that could be purchased and installed on any Ruger Single Action revolver, made before the New Models were made. They come up for sale on this and other sites. Other single action revolver parts were also made from solid brass, but never put into production, like a brass ejector rod housing with mounting screw. Brass Frame/Lee E
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

If you want extra weight you could get a NM Ruger steel XR3 grip frame like on the 2005 & 2006 50th Ann. Flattops or from one of the New Vaqueros and make a trigger Spring adapter for it. I would think that it would work. Not brass but heavier than the alloy. .
FT44
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Sorry for the confusion......I did not mean to suggest there was a Ruger made Brass Frame for the XR3 , I was hoping an aftermarket company had made one, or at least a black/blued one, BUT NOT :? :?
FT44, I have been curious about the NM Vaquero frames since they call them a XR3 frame.
Guess I will take my Vaquero apart and give it a look!!
Thanks for the replies

Cheers,
JAY
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

To use a New Model grip frame on an Old Model revolver just make a trigger spring adapter. Here is a picture of a completed part. Basically, it needs to fit in the slot where the NM trigger return spring fits. It has a cross pin hole to hold it in place, and it has the OM trigger return spring & plunger hole in the end. File away any material that gets in the way. Here is a pic of one in the almost finished stage.
FT44
New Model frame Old Model Trigger Spring Adapter Save in Documens   duFjM3I.jpg