no 1 sight question

zebra55

no 1 sight question

Post by zebra55 »

does anyone know what year the Ruger no 1 changed from the slab sided front sight to today's fluted style?
gewehrfreund

Re: no 1 sight question

Post by gewehrfreund »

I don't know exactly (nor does anyone else I'd guess), but based on what I've seen in my travels and my own rifles over the years, it seems to be sometime in the mid-1980s.
As with all things Ruger Number One, there are no hard an fast rules, exact dates for changes or verifiable records (i.e. never say never).
zebra55

Post by zebra55 »

Let me ask this, has anyone seen an RSI with a slab sided front sight?
gewehrfreund

Post by gewehrfreund »

My books show the RSI first cataloged in 1984 or 85, so it might be safe to assume this is when the change to the fluted front band occurred and why no RSIs exist with the unfluted band. That is to say, I've never seen one, but I wouldn't be surprised if one showed up in typical Ruger fashion, using up old parts before switching to a new "version", and driving aficionados crazy ever since. ;)
chet15

Post by chet15 »

gewehrfreund wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:19 pm My books show the RSI first cataloged in 1984 or 85, so it might be safe to assume this is when the change to the fluted front band occurred and why no RSIs exist with the unfluted band. That is to say, I've never seen one, but I wouldn't be surprised if one showed up in typical Ruger fashion, using up old parts before switching to a new "version", and driving aficionados crazy ever since. ;)
Yes, as good a guess as could be. I've never seen a flat side sight on a 1RSI or 77RSI.
Keep in mind however, the earliest M77Magnums also did not have the fluted front sight base.
Chet15