cylinder roll-back with quarter cock

Ruger8r

cylinder roll-back with quarter cock

Post by Ruger8r »

The plum frame OM (1958) Single-Six I acquired recently does something I haven't seen before. It locks-up tight with the hammer lowered all the way and at full cock. However, pulling the hammer back to quarter cock causes the cylinder to rotate backwards very slightly out of lock-up. Turn the cylinder clockwise a tiny bit and it clicks into lockup. Other than that the action is smooth and positive. I haven't fired it. I think it is safe to shoot but I would like to know if this is typical and, if not, what I need to do to fix it.
Thanks in advance.
O
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
chet15

Re: cylinder roll-back with quarter cock

Post by chet15 »

It really isn't in lockup if the gun isn't at full cock. It sounds like it has had enough rounds through it that the friction between the base pin and cylinder pin hole have smoothed sufficiently that you get a little play with the cylinder when not at full cock.
Chet15
chet15

Post by chet15 »

chet15 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:45 pm It really isn't in lockup if the gun isn't at full cock. It sounds like it has had enough rounds through it that the friction between the base pin and cylinder pin hole have smoothed sufficiently that you get a little play with the cylinder when not at full cock. Really, when you are in between first pullback of the hammer and full cock, you should be able to roll the cylinder back somewhat, that is, until the bolt stop hits the locking notch on the cylinder.
Chet15
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Thanks, Chad.
The cylinder certainly spins freely after cleaning and oiling and there is a small amount of play on the pin. Definitely fired a bunch.
I'm not going to worry about it, though. The gun looks even better with stags courtesy of Bill Hamm and I don't want to mess with it. I love those colors.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector