NYCPD 4" Service Six 38spl fair price

Stonebuster

NYCPD 4" Service Six 38spl fair price

Post by Stonebuster »

I've found what I believe is a NYCPD DAO 4" Service Six with a SN# 162-4111XX. It looks to be in excellent condition but $750 seems too much to me. What do you experts think is a fair price for it if it's what I think it is?
RoninPA

Re: NYCPD 4" Service Six 38spl fair price

Post by RoninPA »

It's in the right s/n range to be one. Check the crane to see if there is a star stamped there. If there is, then it has been through the NYCPD armorers and could have been issued. If not, then it could be a NYCPD contract overurn, still very desired.

To me (but I'm a cheapskate) that is about $150 to $250 too high. In this time period where guns prices are abnormally/artifically high, $500 -$600 if in very good to excellent condition is what I would consider a bit high but fair price. If it were NIB, that's a different matter.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

I agree with Ron, it's in the price range of how bad do you want it. Who knows what the gun market will look like a year from now.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Stonebuster,
Here is the question only you can answer.
A year from now will I wish I had the gun, or the extra $250?!!?
Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker
Stonebuster

Post by Stonebuster »

Thanks for the replies. It's been for sale for over two months and I've kept waiting for the price to drop but hasn't. The gun is in another state so I can't look at it in person. I told the owner where to look for the star but he said it didn't have one. Either he missed it or it's probably an over run. I assume it still would letter as NYCPD special contract run regardless of the star. Being an over run would explain the condition because it doesn't look to have been ever carried. It looks to me like someone may have cleaned up the finish slightly as I don't see a turn line but the pictures are fuzzy when I expand them. The cylinder notches look perfect.
Stonebuster

Post by Stonebuster »

RoninPA wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:08 pm It's in the right s/n range to be one. Check the crane to see if there is a star stamped there. If there is, then it has been through the NYCPD armorers and could have been issued. If not, then it could be a NYCPD contract overurn, still very desired.

To me (but I'm a cheapskate) that is about $150 to $250 too high. In this time period where guns prices are abnormally/artifically high, $500 -$600 if in very good to excellent condition is what I would consider a bit high but fair price. If it were NIB, that's a different matter.
I was thinking around $600 myself since I got my GS-83 NYCPD in pristine condition for $620 about a year and a half ago. On the other hand you don't find this gun in this condition on the market often.