Ruger Owner Instruction Manuals

arcticruger

Ruger Owner Instruction Manuals

Post by arcticruger »

I am curious as to dating these manuals to year specific year guns. Basically the older .22 Autos and 10/22s. I notice in the lower right corner (usually) of the instruction manual there is what looks like a a code or date number. Does this always correspond to the year of the firearm. I have seen these all over the place, mostly earlier, but some later. The last one I noticed was a manual number ending in a 77 with a nib 1965 pistol. Any thoughts?
rugerguy

Re: Ruger Owner Instruction Manuals

Post by rugerguy »

you will all too often find an owners manual in the box of a gun that the date does not match the gun...many times people just grab and put one in the box, if they have a few different models, many do not bother to look,see, if they "match" I know over the years I try to always place an owners manual in the box or case of any gun I am selling, and for years, the factory provide one "free" just give them a call, now its all PDF files or some such BS, just not the same....when we had our shops as well as going to the early gun shows I used to have cases of all different owners manuals for sale, even gave many away........still have way too many to bother to go through anymore, mostly early rifles.....someday :?
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

Thanks for the info. Looks like I am on the search for a few replacement manuals ;)
chet15

Post by chet15 »

Generally however, the date at the bottom of the instruction manual was "close" if not right on to the date of when the gun was packaged. As Dan mentioned, there are exceptions however... an example is that the earliest Super Bearcats got a "Bearcat" instruction manual dated 9/69. So, it was whatever the latest edition was that Ruger had on hand that got put in the box, or if the instruction manual hadn't been updated yet at the time of shipment.
Chet15
arcticruger

Post by arcticruger »

chet15 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:22 am Generally however, the date at the bottom of the instruction manual was "close" if not right on to the date of when the gun was packaged. As Dan mentioned, there are exceptions however... an example is that the earliest Super Bearcats got a "Bearcat" instruction manual dated 9/69. So, it was whatever the latest edition was that Ruger had on hand that got put in the box, or if the instruction manual hadn't been updated yet at the time of shipment.
Chet15
I wondered about that, good to know.