Question about the cylinders

RugerfanAustria

Question about the cylinders

Post by RugerfanAustria »

It is usually the case with SA revolvers that the last 3 digits of the serial number are engraved on the front of the cylinder.

This is also the case with my single actions and it is also pointed out in my books and documents. However, I have a friend who doesn't have any numbers on the single Six Hunter.

Especially the Single Six Hunter as a convertible model should have these 3-digit numbers. With his super Blackhawk from 1964 I would understand because he was not convertible although I heard that these numbers were partly etched even on the cylinders from old model which were no Convertibles.

Are there historical reasons why this was omitted between 19... and 19.... or was it simply forgotten? Would it also be possible that there is a second drum that was fitted later, for example in Europe.

Best regards
rugerguy

Re: Question about the cylinders

Post by rugerguy »

Normally, when the firearm has a "spare" ( second ) cylinder this spare, extra cylinder was usually marked, with the last 3 digits of the guns serial number, in the beginning it was hand stamped, then later they used an electric pencil............if a gun went in for repair or service, they at times would then mark BOTH cylinders, just to "keep things together" this also was done at many gunsmith shops, refinishing ,bluing, etc., I know we marked all the cylinders of any guns we serviced in our 3 shops over the years....yes over time MANY guns have had replacement cylinders from whomever, where-ever, and things did get switched around, heck in many cases I have seen ONE owner who may have several different models get their cylinders WRONG< and switched.... it is better to have NO number, than the wrong number, BUT that being said, most any cylinder that was already "fitted" to a gun, may work in another gun, the same model...see it ALL the time... 8-) :roll: ;)
RugerfanAustria

Thank you for your answer.

The revolvers I bought new that don't have a second cylinder, like the 2015 Super Black Hunter and the 2019 Blackhawk 357Magnum, also have this number.

I've heard that since the early to mid-2000s all drums are said to have been given this number, but I have don't know if it's true.

My Single Six Cabrio also has this 3-digit number on both cylinders and was also bought new.

The Single Six Hunter is not such an old model that also has a second cylinder, so I am surprised that neither of the two cylinders has a number.
contender

Post by contender »

At times,, the marking of the 3 digits was also used to keep track of parts when re-bluing them. (As noted above.)
However,, stainless guns may not have markings because they do not get blued & separated from the gun as it's assembled.

Isn't chasing information fun?
RugerfanAustria

contender wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:22 am
Isn't chasing information fun?
This is not only fun but is often very exciting at the same time.
contender

Post by contender »

You think the fun is exciting,,, heck,, you should make a trip to the USA,, and attend one of our ROCS shows. You might just pass out from all the excitement! :D
RugerfanAustria

I believe you immediately and if I should ever make it across the great pond, that would be a fixed point that I would have made. ;)

Best regards
chet15

Post by chet15 »

RugerfanAustria wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:57 pm Thank you for your answer.

The revolvers I bought new that don't have a second cylinder, like the 2015 Super Black Hunter and the 2019 Blackhawk 357Magnum, also have this number.

I've heard that since the early to mid-2000s all drums are said to have been given this number, but I have don't know if it's true.

My Single Six Cabrio also has this 3-digit number on both cylinders and was also bought new.

The Single Six Hunter is not such an old model that also has a second cylinder, so I am surprised that neither of the two cylinders has a number.
It may have simply skipped the process. Lots of guns going through there... things happen.
Chet15
RugerfanAustria

chet15 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:06 pm
It may have simply skipped the process. Lots of guns going through there... things happen.
Chet15
That's my personal guess as well.
Bearcat2019

Post by Bearcat2019 »

I have a beautifully engraved Bearcat with alloy frame, steel cylinder and trigger guard. It was made for a specific customer with grip inserts. The only Serial number I can find is K192. Doesn’t match any I’ve seen on the net. Help?