ROCS Shows - ON THE FENCE????

Questions about the Ruger Collectors and Owners Society Inc.
RoninPA

Re: ROCS Shows - ON THE FENCE????

Post by RoninPA » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:59 am

RocDoc,
No need to be a master carpenter to do a display. Yes, some of the displays you see in the ROCS Journal, NRA pictures, and other shows are VERY impressive and a lot of work goes into them. In many cases when at a place like the NRA show it does probably need to stick out to be recognized because of the competition. HOWEVER, the average displays that I have see in my few short years of displaying are actually pretty simply done. Bigger/fancier is very nice but what we want to concentrate on is to show the public our RUGERS, not necessarily the display. Have something that attracts their attention and gets them to look at the guns (not just the display holding the guns) and then talk to them about the guns you are displaying. I have already heard from people who come to certain shows that when they come the first thing they look for is the "Ruger Row". Not to see the displays but to see what Rugers are being shown.

If showing something like big bore #1's or M77's, an animal pelt (or pelts) with the rifles on them would make a great display of Ruger hunting rifles (in my humble opinion). This response to you has just now made me think of a display of a Ruger Precision Rifle and a Ruger Precision Rimfire with various targets displaying the grouping and at what distances. Pretty simple but it may generate some discussion with gun show attendees about target shooting, long distance shooting, long distance hunting, etc.

Don't forget, and don't take this wrong, I know you know this but for the fence sitters, the displays are about the Rugers, not what is holding them, for people to see. I would rather have 20 different 1 gun displays than 2 10 gun displays. Some people think "Well I don't have many Rugers so my display wouldn't be any good" Folks it's about the Rugers and the (your) story/history about the gun(s) being shown.

Sorry for being long winded. For those of you going to OGCA (to display or not), see you in 2 weeks (BTW the wife and I will be getting to the hotel on Thursday July 12)
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron

RocDoc

Post by RocDoc » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:28 am

So here is my idea for a display: K1RSI 6.5x55, K77RSI 7x57, K77/22RSI, K10/22RSI. Not sure the theme will work as the zebra skin sould suggest an Africa slant, and I doubt any safaries have 22 rifles along, could be wrong though. 6.5x55, 7x57.....they use those often in Africa, right? Would focus on the walnut K editions obviously

flattop44

Post by flattop44 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:54 am

Those Ks would be a great display of the fine No. 1 rifles, we all will be looking forward to seeing you with them in Tulsa this November. Call Shirley at Wanamachers Tulsa Arms Show immediately and reserve your table in the ROCS display area.
Bill

RoninPA

Post by RoninPA » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:16 am

RocDoc wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:28 am
So here is my idea for a display: K1RSI 6.5x55, K77RSI 7x57, K77/22RSI, K10/22RSI. Not sure the theme will work as the zebra skin sould suggest an Africa slant, and I doubt any safaries have 22 rifles along, could be wrong though. 6.5x55, 7x57.....they use those often in Africa, right? Would focus on the walnut K editions obviously
I think that would make a unique display. Truthfully, I don't think most gun show attendees would think that way (the african slant). The zebra skin would attract people and then they would see and learn about those rifles.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron

Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:13 pm

Jay, time to part with some of that old NAPA money and head to the shows. If you do not have a good time you can share some of your 10/22's with me.
Charlie1022

SteveRuger

Post by SteveRuger » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:56 pm

:!:
One of my favorite displays was my simplest titled ' Steve's Favorites' flat on a old blue bed spread showing 6 old used Rugers!
Very simple & Fun!
Hope to see you in Tulsa in 2018.
Steve
GUN COLLECTORS.......Stewards Of America's Firearms Heritage!
God Bless Our Troupes, Especially Our Snipers!

Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:53 pm

I agree that it is better to better to KISS, keep it simple stupid. If you want to display. I encourage you to ask questions from any who display. It is fun to meet people and talk about what YOU enjoy. Life is too short to not enjoy the trip!
Charlie1022