SUPER LARGE RUGER AUCTION including #46 collection

Ruger Firearm, Parts, and Other
Marksman

Re: SUPER LARGE RUGER AUCTION including #46 collection

Post by Marksman »

Looks like buyers did well on a lot of auctions.
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Well, Mine have been paid for and now I'm waiting their arrival. Here is what I got:

Security Six s/n 150-00046, 4" with one piece white box with interior cutout and all paperwork
SP101 s/n 570-00046, 2 1/4" one piece yellow box with shipping sleeve and all paperwork
GP100 s/n 170-00046, 4" one piece yellow box w/all packing and original invoice
Redhawk, 5 1/2" barrel, half lug, original sights plus bead front sight and deep V w/vertical white line rear sight, factory box and shipping sleeve
GP100 6" full lug factory box and shipping sleeve

The #46 s/n guns are, in the words Poulin, "all aspects of all 3 excellent and appearing new", they did come from the James A. Smith collection.

Even with the buyers premium, I basically paid $505 for each.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

Congrats, well bought.
Mohavesam

Post by Mohavesam »

Why pay premiums and auction surcharges on a gun only to find its not what you thought?

Way too many hard-working LGS owners in my travels to spend twice the money and get sheety service to boot.
YMMV. :roll:
Last edited by Mohavesam on Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:o It is a Right, NOT a permit.
Political Correctness = Political Submission :oops:
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Mohavesam,

It sound like you have had some bad experiences with auction houses. And I am sure you are correct when dealing with the smaller local houses. They don't understand collectible guns, verses ordinary weapons that can be purchased in any gun store, and maybe that's a good thing. If you know what to look for, and they have no idea it's collectible, you can get a good deal. And of course you have the option to pass on the junk.

Sometimes the auction house is the only place a collector can go to find some of the rarer guns, and I believe their are several reputable houses that specialize in guns, such as the ones that advertise in our Digest. They are very accommodating over the phone and will examine the gun with you. These houses don't want to get a bad rep. I have even been able to return a weapon that was not as described.

The problem with these larger houses is that they know what they have 98% of the time, and they draw a large group of collectors that also know what they want, so getting a good deal is hard to do, but you will receive a good weapon. And no I don't like the large commissions but that is just part of the price. Remember we set the price not the auction company. Just because they set an opening bid does't mean you have to jump on it. If there are no takers they will come down.

Just my opinion based on my experiences.

O M CRAZY
Vince
JAYDAWG

Post by JAYDAWG »

Vince,
I agree......
Most of the truly collectible stuff (guns or otherwise) end up with the major auction houses as the heirs, or hopefully the current owners,
want to realize as much as they can from their items. And like you said, most know what they have, so no "deals".
That being said, I will go back to what I have said on other threads here on the forum.......an item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it at the time.
"Book value" is $400 and that is what is worth to you, but it's worth $600 to me.
Another factor that I see is the value of money today. My disposable income is MUCH more than my parents' , so I can/will pay more for something that I WANT and this is harder to accept for folks that have been in an area of collecting for a lot longer than I have.

Until they sell....... :shock: :P :shock:

Just my CENT worth!!
Cheers,
JAY
I do not "own" these guns, I am but the next caretaker