SUPER LARGE RUGER AUCTION including #46 collection

Ruger Firearm, Parts, and Other
Ruger44fan

SUPER LARGE RUGER AUCTION including #46 collection

Post by Ruger44fan »

Poulin's Antiques and Auctions has posted their catalogue on the internet TODAY! It seems this will be the single largest offering of Ruger firearms in one auction ever presented; it even includes the Jack Packard / James Smith #46 collection! The offerings are truly staggering as many collectors have pooled their items for this special auction. There are engraved models, lightweights, 4 digit No. 1's, consecutive pairs, factory folding Mini-14's, and of course, the #46 collection plus much, much more. Auction dates are October 18-21 (4 full days!) and it includes many other offerings such as Class III items and more. This is a rare opportunity to obtain items rarely offered for sale. Check it out and get ready for long to be remembered auction. www.poulinauctions.com
T.A. Workman

Re: SUPER LARGE RUGER AUCTION including #46 collection

Post by T.A. Workman »

Amazing!!
I was hoping there would be more memorabilia offered.
NRA Benefactor
Life Mem MOPH
Life Mem USMC
Clyde "Jug" Johnson - Six-Gun Man
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

Its sure to leave many on the edge of their seat (I know I will be) while watching this amazing auction. There are so many wonderful items to view and bid on its almost overwhelming.
The timing is great strategy as well weeks before the Wannamacher Show.
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

Gene, you are correct! Auctions like this are very seldom and well known as this! Line up your funds and hold onto your seat for a good auction. This is a real chance to fill some open spots in any collection. When I assembled my $40 collection, they were scattered everywhere and it took me many contacts and phone calls to chase them down. Good Luck and bring the results to Tulsa for everyone to view? Brass Frame/Lee E
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

I got the notice about the auction by email from Poulian last week. I have never "done" an auction like this so if anyone has any suggestions I would gladly listen. I am on the fence about doing the absentee (you send the info to them about the Lot # you want and your max bid) or signing up for the phone bidding. I have nothing to do that day so it wouldn't bother me to do the phone bidding.

Oh, I'll be bidding on a few things but don't worry you single action guys, I won't be treading into your domain :D . I have my eye of a couple of things but I don't have the deep pockets to buy a lot (well....I do keep getting offers of personal loans from the credit unions I deal with...hmmmm :shock: )

Thanks
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Marksman

Post by Marksman »

I looked at the auction conditions and thought that 15% commission was not bad (if you pay by certified check), but then noticed that there are an additional 3% due if one bids via Internet (what I usually do). Has anyone tried the phone bidding? Is that a good option? Do you watch the auction live on their website and while you bid on the phone?
Assuming the items go for a lot of money, is any ROCS member there in person for some input when the items are out for viewing? I always have a hard time trusting pictures.
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

Ron, I have bought a few guns on these type auctions via internet bidding and had good and bad experiences. Always was pleased with the firearms when I got them. My bad experience was the promptness and attention, individual handling getting it to you losing information and having to resend it, over a month before it was shipped. Also there have been times when I tried to bid and the system wouldn't recognize my bid and then the item sold for a great price. The 18% premium is also something that is hard to swallow, some auctions have a 10% and others up to 22%. You have to take that plus shipping plus tax if it's in the same state your in and possibly transfer and background fees it you don't have a ffl. Consider all those costs to decide how much to bid. There are times you can get deals but it's been my experience that you'll have more into it than you want to. The individuals there in person definitely have the advantage and can bid higher because they don't have the premium.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

Bennett, thanks for the input. I got signed up for the phone bidding so I guess we'll see what happens. Yes, the commission fee is steep IMO but if I can get what I want at a good price, I'll be happy. I called them to ask some questions about the phone bidding and the lady I talked to was very nice and answered all my questions, especially about getting whatever I won shipped to me. I told her I'd get the form filled out and sent and she said, since you're on the phone, we can do everything now. We did and I got a confirmation email two days later to have me check for accuracy. Everything was fine and I sent them a copy of my FFL and they replied that it is now on file with them.

This will be interesting to see how it goes. This auction is huge from what I can see and I am hoping that the people who go in person are all wanting a lot of them military stuff and not so interested in those lowly Rugers :D .

Since I am a newbie to this, I'll do a write up after the auction, whether I win anything or not.
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

I followed the auction today live via the internet and wrote down the majority of the Ruger lots from 2691 through roughly 2860 to include the open and close pricing. In the end I got to doing housework and just couldn't watch it any longer. Overall, I think it was a buyers market on most Ruger items. I don't know about the other makers stuff. Some Rugers went very cheap and a few things went higher than I thought. The highest sale that I recorded was for the SN# 46 S47 with the mahogany case which was an amazing score for whoever got it. I picked up something for show and tell in Tulsa and sure hope that some of you ended up with some nice items too!
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
RoninPA

Post by RoninPA »

I ended up getting 5 Rugers, 3 of them were #46's from the James A. Smith collection. They were a GP100, SP101 and a Security Six (very happy about that one but the others will fit into my collections also). Then got a 5 1/2" 44 Redhawk and another 6" GP100. Both of these, according to the description, come with box, packaging and shipping sleeve. The Redhawk will become a shooter and I'll now have to evaluate several of my Stainless 6" GP's to see which ones I will probably sell.

I am happy with what it is going to cost me for these guns, even with the buyers premium they put on them. I had a set amount I was going to go on both lots and both came in under what I was willing to pay (in the 3 gun lot, much lower).

Now I just have to wait for them to get shipped to me :cry:

Thank you single action owners for not bidding against me (or if you did, thanks for dropping out) :D :D

I did not bid on any SA's but there sure were a lot of nice looking Rugers in that collection and I was tempted :shock:
Ron
USAF Ret (E-8, SMSgt)
NRA Patron