Ever have transmission problems?

Anything Ruger related.
Coogs

Ever have transmission problems?

Post by Coogs »

Yinz is probably thinking what that has to do with a Ruger, weeeelllllll.............let me tell ya. Got to meet a great guy yesterday, Carl, "Watertender".....he fell in love with my 96/22 and came down to pick it up yesterday. Little Chevy car, never even heard of it before, little 16 valve, 4 cylinder, transmission like a snowmobile. (I'm going to let him tell most of this story) so he calls me about the time he said he'd be at my shop. Still about 24 miles away, had to stop let the car COOL down. He gets here, we BS for a bit, gun is at my house, 4 miles away. Normally a 7 minute trip.....I think it took us about 20+ minutes in his car. (my battery went dead on the last vehicle I had here at the shop, in the dealer tomorrow) So, we get to the house, look at some Maxi's, look at some stuff, get going back to the shop. only about 10+ minutes trip back, mostly down hill ya see. Weeeellllll, the poor guy decides to try and drive it home, what, Carl, about 145 miles? Made it about 24 and that was it.......Had to have it towed to home. Not sure what time he got there, but he did get there safe, we kinda stayed in touch during his home trip debacle. So, I think that 96/22 will always be tied to a transmission.........in addition to a towing bill? It was and experience and a pleasure meeting Carl. God Bless.
gunman42782

Re: Ever have transmission problems?

Post by gunman42782 »

Yeah, that gun sounds like it cost him a bundle! Sounds like some of the vehicles I have owned over the years. :D
NRA Endowment Life Member
GOA Member
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

I sure hope Carl has insurance????

O M CRAZY
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

In the immortal words on Yosemite Sam.... "Razzle-Frackin-Frit-Froppin-Frockledy-Frung-POOP".... The rifle is a beauty! Jack is a great guy! The dealer said they could find NO problem with the car under the 100,000 mile power train warranty when I took it to them 2 weeks ago for shifting problems with the Constant Velocity Transmission or CVT... It is under warranty with 91811 miles on it...They sure are going to find the problem now because it will not move under it's own power anymore... Of course my AAA membership only covered 100 of the 168 mile tow back to the dealer.... When I got home last night there was a FREE upgrade to my AAA with a 200 mile towing range sitting in my mailbox... The extra 68 miles cost me $272 in cash and the dealer got a firm talking to.... I didn't cuss at them but they are very aware of my displeasure....

It took AAA about 2 hours to find a towing company willing to take my car back to the dealer and with the detours on the way back it added miles to the tow... What was planned on being a nice day ended up less than stellar but it's passed... I did not get home until almost 9pm from a 6am start to my trip.

On to brighter things... I had a nice visit with Jack and got to see some of his fine stuff. It was a pleasure meeting him and sometime when my car is running properly I want to go back to have lunch with him. The 96/22 is a beautiful rifle and it will be incorporated in my fledgling ROCS display next year in Ohio.
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
O M CRAZY

Post by O M CRAZY »

Glad to hear you made it home and had some insurance. Having been there and done that I can tell you the pleasurable memory of the gun will out last the bad memory of the trip. (may be) :D

O M CRAZY
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Glad you made it home safe with your new addition to your collection. Looking forward to seeing your display next year in Ohio.
Charlie1022
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I also have to add that the local police where I broke down were more than nice. They stopped to see if I needed assistance and put road flares out behind my car. The officer gave me 3 extra flares incase I needed them and told me if I needed anything to call the department. I sent them a thank you card yesterday in the mail for their kindness.... My dealer IS NOT getting a thank you card... This will be a most memorable rifle indeed...

Jack and I must have made a comical looking pair riding in my little car. We are both jumbo petite with grey beards. My hair is short while Jack has a ponytail... At least I can laugh about the purchase of this rifle. Jack showed me some very fine pieces and we did have a nice time while I was there. He runs an old time plumbing outfit and I felt right at home in his shop. When we went to his new house it was a nice ride except for the transmission on my car... He lives on a lane that is in the woods so far off the road I heard banjos.... His new house for his wife and dogs is fantastic... Jack has a hunting camp trailer in the yard that is his abode if he upsets his wife or dogs... Maybe she will let him visit his collection if he behaves... Speaking of Jack's collection.. His military items are fantastic!! Everything from the Civil War to modern... The Maxi group is beyond awesome...

Now we have to see what the dealer does for me...
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

We are discussing filling the car with Tannerite and using the 96/22 to send it off properly...
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Remember to check to make sure you do not leave any marbles in the car before she blows. By the sound of the size, 1 pound should do the job.
Charlie1022
Charlie1022

Post by Charlie1022 »

Remember to check to make sure you do not leave any marbles in the car before she blows. By the sound of the size, 1 pound should do the job.
Charlie1022