Tulsa Gun Show

Anything Ruger related.
d findley

Tulsa Gun Show

Post by d findley »

The best thing I brought back from the Tulsa Gun Show: Chief AJ gave me this medallion. The Chief is a retired Marine. I enjoyed time spent with him.
Attachments
1a.jpg
1a.jpg (71.83 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
1b.jpg
1b.jpg (50.76 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
Rugerologist

Re: Tulsa Gun Show

Post by Rugerologist »

Don, he had to petition the commandant of The Marine Corps to have those made. There are only 24 of them. Very cool Challenge coin to have!
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber
LIBERTY FOREVER

Post by LIBERTY FOREVER »

That's one Coin I don't have in my collection.
I have one from every Combatant Command and from places far flung.
I have several Commissioned from different Commands I held.
That's a neat piece Don, was there a significance to the number 24?
LIBERTY FOREVER
NRA Endowment
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I sent a USMC Devil Dog challenge coin to Chuck to give to Chief AJ at Tulsa which he gave to him at the banquet... Chief AJ called me to thank me and we had quite a nice conversation. He asked me for my address and in the mail yesterday came one of his USMC coins the same as he gave to Don.... I am overwhelmed at his generosity!! I told him the story of why I give challenge coins to veterans that I know...

My friend Charlie was a very proud Marine. Charlie had served during WW2 taking part in the invasions of Saipan and Iwo Jima... During Korea he was called back as a DI and heavy weapons instructor teaching the Browning 50 caliber and 81mm mortar...... Charlie was a widower with no children and little family. I used to meet him at the diner we both went to and one day I gave Charlie a USMC challenge coin.... Well you would have thought it was Christmas and winning the lottery all rolled into one with his reaction! Charlie carried that coin and showed people..... I had not seen him for a few days and was saddened to see his obituary in the paper... We went to his wake and there in the casket in front of the flag was his coin.... I spoke to his nephew and asked about the coin.... He told me that Charlie told him it was given to him by a friend and that is was his prized possession. Charlie died holding it and his nephew asked if I knew where it came from so I told him that I had given it... We were both overwhelmed when both ends of the story came together.... Since that time I have given coins to those I know have served...
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
Rugerologist

Post by Rugerologist »

Gene, I had to ask The Chief about the number. He directed me to Revelation 4:4 “Surrounding the throne were twenty-four other thrones, and seated on them were twenty-four elders. They were dressed in white and had crowns of gold on their heads.” There is a coin for each of them.

Carl, that's a saddening but also heartwarming story. I'm sorry for the loss of your dear friend.
"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor." - Henry David Thoreau
Aquatic Biologist
NRA Life Member
R.O.C.S. Editor
R.C.A. Member #5050
R.E.N.E Subscriber