American Rifleman ads

Anything Ruger related.
67stingray

American Rifleman ads

Post by 67stingray »

I recently aquired the full years of 1954 and 1955 American Rifleman. There are some great Ruger color ads, dope bag report on the Single-Six and the first article they published on the Blackhawk. It's really neat browsing through them and the way the information and ads have changed over the years. There's articles on gunsmithing and even lists of stolen firearms from individuals similar to the way the RCA Journals used to. There's mention of around 310,000 subscribers in 1955 can't imagine how many now.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
flattop44

Re: American Rifleman ads

Post by flattop44 »

I enjoy thumbing through those old issues. Interesting articles and historical info. I use a lot of those ads in my displays.
Bill
Doc4429

Post by Doc4429 »

Ruger very actively promoted its firearms in the AR over the years and it is fun to collect the ads associated with your favorite models. Like FT 44 said, they also add to a display of Ruger firearms. I wish S&W would have done like Ruger, but they did not advertise much in the AR or in other publications.

Bill
67stingray

Post by 67stingray »

You're right, seems like today 75% of the coverage is on the tactical platform but I do understand that the interest has changed. I love how this group makes a great effort to educate the craftsmanship and beauty of older firearms and am honored to be part of it. I ran across a really neat ad on the introduction of the Colt Python, talk about a gun with a cult following. The magazines back then offered a lot more articles on sharing knowledge on gunsmithing or other improvements without the sales pitch.
Bennett
Any day without learning is a day of backing up.
Ironhawk

Post by Ironhawk »

I like old issues neet colored pics, cool articles , funny how not alot of the company's are arround any more and some are .
Watertender

Post by Watertender »

I have most of The Gun Digest annual editions from the late 1940's thru the early 2000's with a few missing. They go in depth about "The small upstart company in Southport CT" taking it into the development of the Mark 1 and the single action revolvers. The 1954 edition has an engraved Single Six in gold and silver with ivory grips on the cover. Page 108 has a great article called "Six Gun '53 Style" by Warren Page. Page 109 shows the Single Six and Bill Ruger firing a Single Six while wearing a Sherlock Holmes stalking cap. The bottom of the page has the RST4 and T514 with the prices of $37.50 and $57.50.... This is an absolute treasure trove of information.... Does a member of the ROCS own the Single Six on the cover???
Some people sit on $.05 of knowledge like it is the treasure of Egypt. I will teach anyone $.10 worth just to prove a point...
flattop44

Post by flattop44 »

I believe that gun is now owned by Mr John Dougan.
Bill
Brass Frame

Post by Brass Frame »

In my early career as a Ruger collector (late 1970s), I purchased a complete collection of American Rifleman magazines from 1948 through 1975. Every monthly issue is in mint condition. My first job was to remove all staples that hold each issue together. Next I inserted every advertisement from Ruger in a plastic page protector and cataloged them by year. I kept the advertisements as a complete 4 page print to maintain the integrity of each ad. Over my Ruger collecting years, those advertisements have enhanced my displays and have proven helpful in establishing time lines for production of the earliest models. I still have them and enjoy looking at the changes in print, made over the early years of Ruger firearm production. It adds greatly to my understanding of the company direction. Brass Frame/Lee E