THE HORNET TURNS NINETY

Anything Ruger related.
Ruger8r

THE HORNET TURNS NINETY

Post by Ruger8r »

The 22 Hornet round was fist produced commercially, at Col. Townsend Whelen's urging, in 1930 by Winchester even though commercially available rifles would not be manufactured for three more years. Sedgely, Howe and others did make some rifles based on the 03, which was the test bed for that group's work on developing the Hornet at a Springfield armory.
Might be too late but I think a 2020 commemorative, or two, would be great offerings by SR.
How about a 22 Hornet 90th Anniversary wheel gun? The 30 Blackhawk would be a good place to start with a 9" barrel, special markings and fancy grips. There are only two others on the market and they are very heavy.
Or what about a tribute to Col. Whelen's role in developing the 22 Hornet by offering a Commemorative re-issue of the RSH with fancy wood or even in an RSI stock?
Or both? A slam-dunk for the Hundredth but that's 10 years from now.
Just a covid fantasy. Running across this made me look further:
https://www.morphyauctions.com/jamesdju ... /1409-396/
Any thoughts?
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
Mohavesam

Re: THE HORNET TURNS NINETY

Post by Mohavesam »

The 22 Hornet and vastly superior K-Hornet are fine cartridges. But... essentially hunting rounds. Not to say one cannot take a factory rifle and wow spray-n-pray shooters at the range. The Hornet will when understood by the triggerman.

I have have had a couple Ruger and Savage rifles and own a re-barreled XP-100, all of which have brought many smiles and have sent away friends who wonder how they've missed these wonderful rounds. And many many 'chucks and 'yotes have crumpled to the Hornet.

Get one or buy another. 8-)
:o It is a Right, NOT a permit.
Political Correctness = Political Submission :oops:
SteveRuger

Post by SteveRuger »

:D :D My Sons and I have been shooting the Hornets for a long time varmit hunting fairly quiet, cheap to reload with no recoil to speak of.
I also love the 218 Bee!
Steve
GUN COLLECTORS.......Stewards of America's Firearms Heritage!
God Bless Our Troops, Especially Our Snipers!
Hawkeye28

Post by Hawkeye28 »

Love and own the Ruger #1A's in 22 Hornet done in the late 80's. Understood the order was for 400, though I recall fewer completed(37X?) due to some issue between Tom Ruger and the Distributor. ("You have to carry our Ruger line and not others"...?) These seem to have found "homes" and rarely show up. (Even rarer are the 223 in the #1A with only 107 of those rascals!) 8-)
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

Yes, although the Hornet was developed for long range target shooting, it became a popular small game cartridge.
But with the current popularity of the Ruger 57 in 5.7x28 as a low recoil, high velocity, penetrating semi auto pistol wouldn't a revolver offering similar qualities be appealing? Maybe a bead front sight.
A Hornet RSI would just be cool to own and shoot.
The 22 Hornet, not just for hunting anymore.
"My greatest fear is that, when I die, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them." Anonymous Collector
RocDoc

Post by RocDoc »

To me, the #3 is just about perfect for the Hornet.
gewehrfreund

Post by gewehrfreund »

RocDoc wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:31 pm To me, the #3 is just about perfect for the Hornet.
Even better when it's a Liberty gun and has a nice set of wood and scope on it! ;)
Attachments
IMG_0778.JPG
Ruger8r

Post by Ruger8r »

What? Is there no love out there for a .22 Blackhawk? There is a fair amount of commercial .22 Hornet ammo available now - I recently bought some reasonably priced Sellier & Bellot 45g FMJ. And the popularity of the new 57 demonstrates that there is demand for a low-recoil, high-velocity penetration round, which describes the Hornet perfectly. Hand loaders and some Lil Gun can easily push the round way beyond the performance of the 5.7x28. Ruger needs a new Blackhawk and we need a hot new zinger of a revolver. Well, I do and I'd like it with a 7-round cylinder and a 7.5" barrel.
O